The Price of Survival: Juline and Edaline

Requested by https://lost-cities-keeper.fandom.com/wiki/Message_Wall:JaxTheShade 

An angsty Juline and Edaline sisterly oneshot

Enjoy :)

Finally.

Finally.

Edaline clung to Grady's hand as the last Neverseen member was led away, defeated, in chains, ready for the sleeping chamber in Exile.

They would never harm her daughter again.

Edaline glanced over at Sophie, who was sitting on the ground, her friends surrounding her as they talked in low tones. They'd grown up too quickly over the course of the war, skipping their teenage activities in favor of going on missions, keeping watch, making speeches.

They were an icon among the elves, a symbol of peace. The Council was debating making them all emissaries, on track to become councilors someday.

Edaline hoped it would be centuries before Sophie had to face that level of stress again.

Because the war was over, and they were all safe. They could be a family without fear.

Finally.

As soon as the thought crossed her mind, Forkle stood on a makeshift stage that seemed to be a block of something that had fallen off during the fight. "Attention! Most everyone has been accounted for! However, there are a few that we have been unable to make contact with, and we're planning on assembling search parties to locate them."

Edaline felt a grip of fear, and she located Sophie in the crowd again, even though she knew she was safe. She would not lose another daughter.

Mr. Forkle cleared his throat. "The missing people are: Wylie, Kesler, and Juline. If you would like to be in a search party, please form a line in front of me..."

His voice was drowned out by the buzzing in Edaline's ears.

Juline.

Juline.

No.

She couldn't move.

"Eda. Eda, we'll find her. Please, Eda, please say something."

Grady was searching her eyes, his gaze panicked.

"Juline," she managed to whisper, and he pressed his forehead against hers.

"We'll find her," he promised fiercely. "Come on."

She nodded numbly, letting him lead her by the hand towards the line forming in front of Mr. Forkle. She was drowning.

Not again, not again, not again.

Never again.

She would find her sister.

The line. The line forming was so long. It could be too late by the time they made it-

She turned, walking away. Faster and faster. Each moment brought her closer to where Juline could be-

"Sophie," she breathed, running up to her daughter, who was making her way towards the line. "Where is my sister?"

Sophie immediately shut her eyes, isolating the sound of a mind. "There," she whispered, pointing off to the right, past a pile of rubble. She seemed to understand that Edaline couldn't wait for the search parties to be formed, and Edaline quickly hugged her daughter before running quickly in that direction.