If Only: FedEx

Weekly oneshot! Here we go with FedEx!

(this is a human au, by the way)

I did FedEx two weeks ago, but I did it again this week because this melded with a request-

"If only you didn't hate me," Fitz sometimes whispered to himself, his eyes drawn again and again to the boy with periwinkle eyes.

Sometimes, he hoped Dex would pick up the noise from across the room, the courtyard, the world.

Sometimes, he wished he would hear. Would notice. Would look over and see Fitz.

Maybe a smile would curve his lips.

"He's not going to hear you," Biana murmured back, her eyes lit with a mixture of sympathy and amusement. "You have to actually talk to him."

Fitz cast a glare her way. They'd had this conversation before, too many times for him to count. "No. He already hates me, I don't need to ruin things any further."

"He doesn't hate you," Biana rolled her eyes, the words echoing from all the other times she'd told him. "You need to... win him over. Stop being afraid."

"Not as easy as you think," Fitz mumbled under his breath, peeking at Dex again.

He was talking to Sophie again (or listening as she spoke), his eyes fixed on her face, hands fidgeting as he shifted back and forth. As if he wasn't really engaged in what she was saying, but he was listening anyway.

Because she was too important to him. Important enough that he would rather be bored and uncomfortable than leave.

Fitz tore his gaze away, a shadow crossing his face before he forced a bright smile back on his face, refusing to look at the boy with strawberry blonde hair.

If only Fitz wasn't a Vacker.

If only these feelings were allowed.

(if only he wasn't feeling anything at all)

Dex glanced up, the sudden movement drawing Fitz's gaze towards him. Their eyes met, and Dex immediately looked away, kicking at the ground before turning back to Sophie.

(he was focused on her a little too intently, Fitz thought)

Fitz squeezed his eyes shut, and Biana patted his arm gently.

"Hey," she said softly. "It's okay."

He smiled at her, letting his eyes crinkle at the corners. "Thanks. I know."

(even though he didn't, and it wasn't)

...

If only Dex was brave.

No, that wasn't the problem, he decided firmly.

The problem was his feelings. His lousy, annoying, no-good feelings that just wouldn't go away, no matter how much Dex tried.

(he talked to Sophie, training his eyes on her face as if she was the only person around. if only his faked feelings were real)

Dex looked up, his eyes automatically glancing towards Fitz. Towards the boy standing with his sister on the other side of the courtyard. Towards the boy that he could never get out of his head.

(he was wearing a black hoodie, Dex refused to notice. his hair was messy, too, his eyes crinkling at the corners as he smiled softly)

"Dex," Sophie interrupted his thoughts, calling his attention back to her. "Go talk to him."

"No," he answered automatically. Then, "I don't know what you're talking about."

"I think you do."

"I-" Dex bit his lip, letting his gaze drift back to Fitz.

"Yeah. Go talk to him," Sophie urged, pushing him forward.

"I can't," Dex whispered, squeezing his eyes shut.

(If only things could be different. if only he wasn't feeling this way. 

Dex sighed, turning towards the school building. He didn't have time to think of Fitz Vacker.

Not today.

(if only he wasn't feeling anything at all)

...

Fitz walked to class alone, his thoughts running rampant through his mind.

He let them.

...

Dex walked to class with Sophie, trying his very best to clear his mind.

It didn't work.

...

(if only they weren't feeling anything at all)

(but they were, and there was no changing that, and they both knew it)

(they knew that they were head over heels in love)

(for better or for worse)

(as much as they liked to pretend otherwise) 

So yeah. As you know, I LOVE FedEx and Fitz and Dex and just... them in general.

This one wasn't my... best? I guess? Since I've written a lot of FedEx it's hard to come up with new prompts every time, so there probably won't be FedEx for a while unless there's a request. Also, I've been suffering from a lack of motivation to do anything so like... yeah that's why it ended weirdly and was a little short and all that.

So yeah, tell me if ya liked it, comment, etc. Love y'all!