Redos and Regrets: Sophitz

Don't have Legacy with me, but I'll just try my best to write this from memory. Which means it's entirely different.

Fix-it fic, 3rd Sophitz week prompt!! This one is gonna be that One Scene where Fitz finds out Sophie and Keefe let Alvar go in exchange for information... except I Fixed It.

Angst with a happy ending!!! Or maybe not. I haven't decided. No one's gonna die tho soooo ig that's all you can ask for from me

"You let him go?" Fitz's face was deadly calm, sharp enough to slice. "You know that he was lying, right?"

Sophie bit her lip nervously, shifting on her feet. "I don't know, Fitz. He looked like he was telling the truth."

"Are you out of your mind?" Fitz snapped, and Sophie saw his fists clench and unclench rapidly at his sides. "He was lying. He always lies, it's what he does."

Something laced his voice, weaving with the anger. Almost unnoticeable, but definitely there.

Sophie couldn't quite tell what it was.

"We needed that information, Fitz—" she started, but he interrupted her.

"We. Right, you went with Keefe." Bitterness replaced anger, but that other feeling was still there. That resigned, guilty weight that Sophie knew pressed harder on Fitz's shoulders every day.

Guilt, she realized. That was what it was.

"What's wrong with going with Keefe?"

"Nothing."

Lie. She could always tell when he was lying.

"I just..." Fitz sighed, running a hand through his hair. "Alvar is my responsibility. I was working with Cassius— which wasn't an easy choice, by the way— and I was going to get that information and..."

"Save everyone?" Sophie asked, her tone sharper than she meant it to be. He didn't say anything, and she continued, "Believe me, I know how it feels to want to do that, but—"

"You don't." He spoke the words softly, but they struck something in Sophie. Something that clanged and echoed and reverberated over and over again.

"What?"

"You don't know what... this is like." Fitz raised his voice slightly, lifting his head to stare her straight in the eye. Emotions mixed in the creases of his eyes, making her almost want to take a step back; desperation, guilt, anger, sadness, regret, determination, all of it mixed and blended together.

"I know you're angry with Alvar for betraying us," Sophie started cautiously. "But does it matter now that he's so weak? He won't be bothering any of us, not from what we saw."

"We can't be sure," Fitz pointed out. "I should've been the one to... I have to be the one to... end it. But I messed up. And maybe that makes me a terrible person, that I tried and I wish I hadn't failed."

"Fitz..." Sophie whispered.

"I am a terrible person, aren't I," he said, something almost pleading in his voice. As if he were waiting for her to agree, and he was hoping beyond everything that she wouldn't. "I know I am. Because I know that he's so weak and dying and I did it and it was me. And elves are supposed to feel guilt but I don't feel any, not about that. I don't... I have no pity for him. No sympathy left. And I know I'm horrible because of it."