A Bit Like Sunshine: Sorella

Weekly oneshot! Another coffeeshop au, this one Sorella because there is a sore lack of that in the fandom. Also, because it's cute and fits with the prompt.

By the way: I have never been to a coffeeshop. Or, at least, I've never gotten coffee at a coffeeshop, so um... ignore the way I imagine they make the coffee. Unless it's right-

And, as always, ignore the title. I suck at them.

Sophie twirled the end of her hair in between her fingers nervously as she entered the small coffeeshop. The small bell tinkled, but none of the customers or employees looked up as she stepped through the doorway.

She shouldn't have come, shouldn't have taken this break, she reminded herself. Her mind was whirling from all she had to do, her photographic memory mapping out the steps she would have to take to complete her homework.

(and yet she was here)

Sophie sighed, but she went up to the counter, scanning the menus so she didn't forget her order.

Waiting in line seemed to take forever, and it felt like her stress levels were rising with every minute, every tap of her foot against the tiled floor. She resisted the urge to tug out an eyelash, trying to yell at herself in her mind.

She should be doing her work, she should be applying for that internship, she should-

"Your order?"

Sophie glanced up, startled as she realized it was her turn. Then as she glimpsed the barista, there was a choked feeling as if she'd swallowed her own gum.

There wasn't really a reason that all the thoughts were wiped from Sophie's head at that moment. There wasn't a reason her mouth was suddenly dry.

Although maybe it was the woman's blonde hair pulled into a messy ponytail. Maybe it was her large glasses, pushed up to the back of her nose. Maybe it was her bright blue eyes or wrinkled apron or ripped jeans. Or maybe it was the combination of all of those things.

Sophie was pretty sure this was what Biana had described as gay panic. But since she was usually too focused on passing school and getting through the year to focus on feelings and relationships, this... this was new.

(and not necessarily in a bad way, either)

"Hello?" The cute barista tapped her fingernails on the counter impatiently, and Sophie was suddenly aware that she'd been staring.

"Sorry! Yes," Sophie blurted nervously, her face flushing. She ordered, somehow managing to keep her voice from cracking or squawking as she tried to keep her eyes on the counter.

(even if she snuck a few snatching glances of the girl's ice-blue eyes and messy ponytail)

(that wasn't weird, right?)

Sophie caught a glimpse of her name tag as the folds of her wrinkled apron shifted.

Marella.

It sounded a little like sunshine, Sophie's bleary, sleep-deprived mind thought before she blinked quickly, inwardly telling herself to snap out of it goddammit.

Marella went to make her order, and Sophie blew out a breath, trying to compose her red cheeks and spinning head. Just because Marella was cute didn't mean Sophie needed to get a crush on her. Just because her messy ponytail shifted as she walked away, her legs making her shorter than she'd seemed from behind the counter, didn't mean that Sophie needed to... to...

The machine ground behind the counter, and Sophie's eyes were drawn again and again to Marella as she huffed impatiently, blowing the loose strands of hair from her ponytail out of her face as she waited for the coffee to be finished.

Something about the way the barista's face scrunched up with every movement made Sophie forget how to think.

Not that Sophie was totally gay for women in ponytails.

(except she really, really was)

(not to mention the glasses)

Stop it, she mentally admonished herself as Marella made her way back to the counter, a steaming cup of coffee held carefully in her hand. Sophie swallowed as she took it from the blonde's hand, their fingers just barely brushing in a way that made Sophie stop breathing for a full minute.

She reminded herself that she'd met Marella a few minutes ago, and they'd exchanged about four words since then.

But she couldn't stop her stomach from flipping as Marella glanced up, a small grin curving the corners of her lips, a sparkle in her ice-blue eyes.

Sophie ordered her fingers not to be clumsy as she held out her credit card, Marella's fingers swiping it through the reader.

(her bright red fingernails clicked against the machine as she punched in a code)

Sophie's mouth moved without her telling it to, blurting, "Hey, can I have your number?"

She winced as soon as the words left her mouth, her face flaming hot as Marella stared at her in surprise for a second. The barista gave her a once-over, leaning the tiniest distance closer.

Just when Sophie was sure she was about to refuse- or worse, tell her she was straight- the woman smiled and said, "Sure."

Casually, as if the word didn't make Sophie's face almost split open with her grin.

(Biana was never gonna let her live this down)

(but it was definitely worth it)

So... Sophie in this was mildly based on @Swearingparrot, mostly from Sophie being gay for ponytails. @Turquoiseskyyy tied the whole thing together or something, I don't recall.

And @DreaminqOutLoud wanted to be tagged because Marella-

So in case you didn't realize from this, Marella is one of my fictional crushes and I'm mildly in love with her. Marella in a messy ponytail with glasses and red fingernails and ripped jeans is just. idek how to function-

So yeah that was that! Tell me if you liked it, constructive criticism, etc!