Hand in Hand: Tamex

kotlcfan2021, your oneshot request! Short but sweet :)

Dex's eyes flicked back and forth, from Tam's hand to the path ahead.

Back and forth, trying to work up the courage to take the other's hand in his. Imagining the warmth, the brush of their palms, how it would feel.

But he was a coward, so he kept swinging his arms back and forth, unimpeded by the clasping of palms. Even though it wouldn't be much of a constraint.

Tam wasn't much for physical contact, Dex reminded himself. He touched exactly one person, and that was his sister. When the others held hands, he stood in the shadows, and when anyone beckoned him over, his eyes blinked slowly as he shook his head, backing away.

Only Linh could make him move closer, and Dex frowned at the thought. Because maybe he did want to hold Tam's hand, because they were both left behind and maybe they could be alone together.

(that wasn't the real reason, Dex knew. but he tried to convince himself he was lonely, and that's why his heart pounded and there was a nervous shudder that went through his body on the rare occasions he met Tam's eyes)

"What's wrong?"

Dex realized he was scowling, and he quickly replaced the expression with a smile. "Nothing. Just... thinking."

"Okay." And Tam continued walking, continued scanning the path ahead and swinging his arms by his side, empty hands curling into fists and releasing again absently.

As if he didn't have a care in the world, and Dex's feelings were like dust floating off into the sun.

...

He was flubbing this up horribly, Tam knew, cursing himself in annoyance.

His fists clenched before he remembered to relax them, and he hoped Dex didn't catch his snatching glances.

(although, at the same time, he hoped he did)

He'd wanted to ask what Dex was thinking about. But then he remembered that he hated when people asked him that, and he wasn't good at conversations anyway and he...

Chickened out.

Again.

As always.

Tam let out a huff, and he felt Dex's eyes on him before they flicked quickly away.

It wasn't like it was awkward, how they were walking. It was beautiful around, enough to lessen the need for conversation, and they were each thinking their own thoughts.

It was peaceful, and Tam was rarely at peace.

But Tam, for once, wanted to talk; perhaps not have a whole heart-to-heart, but simply to chat. The way Linh could, the way other people could communicate so easily.

But when the opportunity had come, he'd dismissed Dex's words like they were nothing, even though all he wanted to do was ask what was wrong.

And speaking had never been his talent (that was more Linh's cup of tea) so he stayed quiet like he always did, even while he waited for Dex to fill the silence.

But the words that eventually escaped Dex's lips weren't the ones Tam was expecting: "Are you mad at me or something?"

"What? No," he insisted, eyebrows furrowing in confusion. "Why would you think that?"

"I don't know. You just... don't seem to talk to me," Dex mumbled, kicking a small rock off the path.

"It's not you," Tam assured him.

(at least this was a conversation, if not the one he'd expected)

"I just... never know what to say. I do want to talk to you, though. I just..." He waved his hands through the air as if that explained everything.

Dex's eyebrows furrowed, and Tam reminded himself to keep his eyes on the path instead of the strawberry-blonde-haired boy. But then Dex's hand brushed against his, and Tam glanced down to see their fingers lacing together hesitantly, the other's warmth seeping into his perpetually cold hands.

Tam lifted his head, and as their eyes met, he caught a faint touch of color rising to Dex's ears. He let a faint grin curl his lips, and let out a breath as they continued walking on the path, hands interlaced.

And Tam didn't see any need for conversation, not when Dex's palm brushed against his and their fingers squeezed together loosely, hands knocking into each other's legs.

Tam couldn't stop his face from heating and his lips from turning up into a full smile as they breathed in the sweet perfume of surrounding flowers, ambling through the park without a care.

A little short, but sweet 

Yeah so this isn't really one of my ships, but I can appreciate it :)

So yeah that was that! Tell me if you liked it, etc!