Chapter 37 '3000 Miles'

Laney's POV

Kate and I are at my apartment getting ready for her friends concert. Knowing the kind of people she listens to, I hope they don't put me to sleep. I feel bad I don't even know their names or their band.

I'm wearing my normal skinny jeans, tank, and vans. I straightened my hair for a change and applied my normal makeup. I switched my necklaces after Ian left the other day. I put my ring back on around my neck, making me feel complete again. It's weird how I feel lost without it. Kate on the other hand was all dressed up, wearing a floral skirt, nice shirt, and some cute flat footed shoes.

"You ready?" Kate asked excitedly. I nodded and she pulled me out the door. When we got to the venue, there weren't many girls lined up.

"Is there a reason there aren't many girls here?"

"There was only a maximum of 200 tickets, it's an acoustic, intimate show," Kate explained.

"Oh, I thought your friends just sucked," I laughed jokingly. She giggled a bit too. She texted someone really quick and pulled me around the back of a building.

"They said they'd be right in here," she said opening a heavy door. We walked in and two boys were sitting down on a couch on their phones. They didn't look up right away, but when they did, I thought I was going to puke. Wesley and Keaton were her friends?! Why didn't I know this? Wesley locked eyes with me, and all I saw was pain in his once sparkly hazel eyes. No one said anything for awhile.

"Don't stare Wesley, she's taken," Kate teased. I wish she wouldn't have said that because he looked at me even more hurt if possible. I didn't know what to say. I pulled out my phone and acted like something came up.

"I-I have to go," I stuttered running back towards the door. I heard someone's footsteps chasing after me, but my adrenaline wouldn't let me stop.

"Laney! What is going on?" Kate huffed.

"I can't go back in there," I croaked with evident tears forming in my eyes.

"Why? What's wrong? Is it Ian?"

"N-No, Kate. How didn't I know? How didn't you know?" I cried gripping my necklace. She saw me holding it tight and gasped.

"Wait, don't even fucking tell me Wesley is the 'it's been 6 months' dude," she said in disbelief. I nodded violently while letting my tears pour out. I thought all of my tears for him were gone, but now that I see how much pain I caused him, and how much hatred he probably has towards me, all of my emotions combined and it's the only way I know to let them out.

"I'm sorry Laney. If I knew, I wouldn't have brought you, gosh I'm so stupid!"

"Go back in there and have fun. I'll pick you up later. I'm going home. There's no way I can stay," I whispered.

"Are you sure? I don't have to stay. Laney, maybe it would be good for you to talk to him? You both obviously still love each other. Did you see how he looked at you when he saw you? He couldn't keep his eyes off," she rambled.

"Kate it's not going to work. His eyes had nothing but pain in them. I know Wesley, and if he really wanted to talk, he would've chased after me, not you."

"I'm really sorry Lane," she sighed. She pulled me in for a hug and rubbed my back, only making me want to cry more. When people show sympathy for me, it just makes me even more upset.

"I'll be fine, just go back before Keaton comes out here," I said. I went back out to my car and drove off. I didn't end up at my apartment though. I found myself knocking on Avery's door, not even knowing why. She opened her door and gasped, pulling me inside. I must've looked like I was crying a lot. She sat me down and made me talk to her about everything that happened. She tried to make me feel better, but nothing really could. What hurts even more than seeing him, was that cold, blank, painful stare he gave me.