Hidden Secrets [47]

The pain of knowing there was nothing we could do

Dans point of view

Yet again I tossed and turned all night and getting up for the first day of college early the next day was not a good mixture, I struggled out of bed and ran a cold shower, livening me up. I made sure I had everything I needed for my first day of a two year catering course.

The day went fast and I hadn't concentrated at all, I didn't know anything about what was said and I didn't know anyone in my classes. But while Miya is in hospital this was the way in was going to be. I had a lucky timetable, I had Wednesday, Friday's and Mondays off, but Monday's only every other week. Starting school today meant I had the day off tomorrow meaning I could stay up at the hospital all night and all day and wait for her to come round. I didn't go home straight after college I walked down to the beach and sat where we always sat, in the dent in the cliff, where we had had our picnics, where we came for valentines day, everything.

I sat and thought about how this was going to work out, what would happen if she couldn't remember anything, I had seen him this morning, he was still around, but he kept his head down. I made my way to the hospital, via the cemetery and I did what she did, I sat at the side of Jacks grave and told him what was happening, I hadn't met him but I still told him, and I asked him to watch over her and help her fight this.

I sat at the side of her bed again, this time in a different room. She now had a private room, one where she could have as many visitors in as they pleased. There were 4 of us today, me, Georgina, David and Lloyd. We all sat in silence for a while and just watched her, watched her for any movements or any signs that she was getting better. But there was nothing.

"I went to the cemetery today."

"why?" David asked

"to tell Jack, Miya always went to Jack to tell him her problems even now, but now she can't do it for herself so I did it for her, and I asked him to watch over her."

"thank you Dan, for everything."

The silence found us again. We sat for another hour watching her, the machines, they beeped, over and over again, and the doctor came running in.

"I'm going to have to ask you to leave." She said pushing us out. I walked out my eyes still focused on her, but now there was nothing we could do. We waited and waited, paced up and down the corridor, and waited even more then finally Dr Mathews came out and gathered us all round to tell us the news.

"she is stable again now, and she seems to be on the mend very well, we found the cause of her machines to keep beeping and its nothing to worry about, her heart has been trying to beat for its self which is very unusual in a coma, and because of this it is beating against the machines making them beep, this is a good sign because it means she is fighting back, but we just have to keep and eye on her, and the progress she is trying to make." And with that she smiled and walked away, Miya was surviving she was fighting it, and I knew there was one person to thank and that was Jack.