[4] He Likes You But I Don't Really Like Him

So my birthday was nearly over, me and Carly got off the bus before Ben and George. Mary and Dan passing us in the car as we walked down the hill, I was unable to wave because of the amount of bags I was carrying, and as they passed us Mary beeped. Just as we got to the bottom of our road their front door closed.

Mum was cooking in the kitchen, but yet again dad wasn't, this showed how much he cared, I was sixteen and he can't even come home for just today.

“Hey girls.”

“Hey.” We headed into the kitchen dumping our bags on the oak table.

“Happy birthday honey.” There was no friction between us now, after the long talk we had the other day, everything seemed a lot clearer now, than it ever had before. “blimey did you buy enough?” she laughed giving me a tight hug. “oh just to let you know I invited Mary, John, Dan and Freddie over for dinner tonight.”

“Ok, mum where’s dad?”

“Sweetie he isn’t coming home tonight, he said he's sorry, and he’ll see you tomorrow.” My smiled turned into a frown, I knew he wouldn’t be home from the very moment that I had woken up, but I missed him and as much as I hated it when the pair of them argued, I wished he was here. “I'm sorry honey.” She finished he sentence quietly

“It’s not your fault, its my sixteenth birthday and he can't be bothered to come home, not even a text to say happy birthday.” I stopped the tears from filling my eyes, by changing the conversation “so can I open my presents now?”

We sat in the lounge, I unwrapped my presents, the first being the one from my dad, it was wrapped carefully, and probably by my mum. And there was no surprise when it was a guitar,I pushed it aside, he had brought me a guitar for my birthday every year since I started playing. I opened my other presents, I receive a tiffany bracelet from my mum, a new mobile phone, a best friend charm from Carly, clothes, money and gift vouchers.

After gathering the wrapping paper into a bin liner, I spread my cards along the windowsill, the doorbell ringing in the background. The was hushed voices in the hall way and then the door creaked open.

“Hey, happy birthday.” Mary said happily as she let go of Freddie’s hand, I watched as his face turned to confusion as he looked around the new surroundings.

“Hey, thank you.” I smiled, Dan handed me a card, and the feeling I felt when being around him yesterday returned, but yet as he handed me the card, his eyes were cold, and I could already tell that he wasn't the guy I had spoken too this morning.

“Miya, do you want to go and get you, Carly and Dan a drink?” my mum said as she walked back into the room with a tray of tea’s. We headed to the kitchen, and I made up three drinks, and there was only one moment where Dan looked at me for more than a few seconds, and that was only when I was telling him the different options. But after pouring three drinks, me and Carly sat down at the table while Dan headed back into the lounge.

“What's up with Dan, first he can't keep his eyes off of you and now, all of a sudden, he hardly says anything, you only just managed to get a smile out of him when he came into the lounge.” Carly took a deep breath, a confused look on her face.

“I think George may have said something to him.”

“What do you mean? How could he without you hearing.” She stated and then took a sip of her drink.

“I don't know, that man hug in top shop seemed to go on long enough for him to say something.”

“Come on Miya, do you really think he would say something then?”

“Yes, I do, its the only other way.”

“What about when he kept putting his arm around you and stuff, maybe Dan thought he better not get too close because you have boyfriend.” She smiled, and I could tell she was trying her hardest to not make the situation as bad as I was making it out to be.

“He got that all wrong last time with Lloyd and now again, maybe we are just not meant to be friends?”

“Miya seriously, I think you're just being paranoid, I'm sure it’s nothing you know what boys are like.”

“Maybe I am, but I still think George said something to him.” I whispered, she likes George whereas I didn't, she hung out with him a lot considering he was Ben’s bestfriend.

“He’s not like that though, he wouldn’t. I know he likes you and all but George isn’t like that, I've known him for too long and he’s never done it before.”

“He fancies me?” I questioned, I was hoping that I had just missed heard her, I knew he liked me but not that much.

“Yea he does.”

“But I don't like him in that what so ever, I'm now beginning to think that I don't like him at all, with the way he’s been acting.” I said as the door creaked open.

“Hey where shall I put this bottle?” I turned to see Dan standing in the door way looking down, more than he had when he arrived earlier, our eyes connected for a short period of time before he let go.

“On the work top next to the sink will be fine.” I smiled, watching him as he made his way towards where I had directed him.

“Say something then.” Carly whispered over the table as he headed back towards us.

“So, are you still up for that tour of the area then?”

“I don't know, I might give itmiss.”

“Oh, ok then, seriously, what is up with you? In Top Shop you were acting all chatty and then George came up to us, and then since then you haven't even wanted to smile at me..” but he had already walked out and closed the door behind him, before I had the chance to carry on with what I was saying, he left without an explanation, I turned to look at Carly

“Well...” she began before taking a breath “that doesn't explain a lot.”

Dinner was soon over and through out the whole meal, he didn't even look or talk to me. The night dragged on, and they left as the clocked passed nine, but after they had left time seemed to go much fast as it was soon midnight, mum had gone to bed at eleven, while me and Carly went up to my room, got into our p.j’s and talked near enough all night.