[3] Having a Good Time

It was finally here, the 3rd January, my birthday.

My phone soon vibrated, while receiving four new messages from Carly, Hannah George and Lloyd. After having a shower, getting ready and doing my make-up and hair, I went down to see if anyone was around. To no surprise dad wasn't and mum was at work, there was a note on the breakfast bar and underneath layed £100 to go shopping with or to keep, but I slipped it into my purse to use as extra spending money, as I was going into town with Carly soon. But before I went anywhere I took a sneak peak at what my presents were, but this year there were no clues being given out.

The door bell rang before I had a chance to sneak at all of my presents, as I opened the door Carly started to sing the ‘Happy Birthday’ song, while shoving my present into my hands, casually inviting herself in, like she lived here, which she practically did every other weekend. She dropped her pink holdall in front of the basement door.

After grabbing my bag and pulling on my boots, coat and beanie hat we headed out of the door, locking it behind, in the back ground Carly began to speak to someone, turning there he stood.

“Hey.” I smiled, walking up the path slowly trying not to slip on the icy patched

“Hey, happy birthday!” he exclaimed

“Thanks” my expression was confused, how did he know it was my birthday?

“Don't worry, Carly told me.” his laugh was infectious, the information was so obvious, and I didn't even think that she would have told him.

“Ok so that was a definite blonde moment.” I laughed holding up a strand of my brown hair. “so were are you off too?”

“Mums dragging me off to the sales, hoping to pick up some bargains, how about you?”

“Town, off to the sales too.”

“Do you want a lift?”

“O...” Carly began to say

“Nah it’s fine.” I interrupted before she finished. “our bus will be here in a minute anyway.” Carly frowned towards me.

“Well if you’re sure.”

“No, we’ll take you up on that offer.” Carly said before I could stop her.

“Well is it a yes or a no?” he said, just as Mary beeped the horn several times

“Think about it we’ll get there quicker.” She whispered, “plus our bus has just gone.”

“Alright.” We headed towards the car, opening the front door, he spoke quietly with Mary and then opened the back door for me and Carly to climb in.

We spoke all the way there, I asked Carly to remind me about getting guitar picks because my cousin had nicked three of them. Mary started the conversation off simply.

“You play guitar then?” she asked while we waited at the traffic lights.

“Yea, been playing for 5 years now.”

“Dan used to play.” She sighed

“Oh how come you don't play anymore.”

“I broke my hand and my doctor said I may not be able to play again as it was quite severe, so my step dad sold my guitar a couple of months back.” Well now I had learnt that John wasn't actually his dad, which must have been the reason why he looked uncomfortable when introduced as being Mary and John’s eldest son. Maybe it also linked to that emotion I saw in his eyes when we first met, the emotion that had a story behind it that would be hard to explain.

“Sorry to hear, have you played since?”

“It’s fine, no I can't without a guitar, and I haven't got the money for a new one.” the car went silent, I waited for another of the many questions from Mary, but there where no more, we soon turned up at the multi-story car park. We were asked if we wanted a lift home, but this time Carly was the one turning them down. just before we left I turned to thank Mary, mine and Dans eyes met and the butterfly feeling returned.

We headed for New Look, followed by another list of shops on the high street, along the way we bumped into two people who I weren’t too keen on, Ben and George. Ben was alright he was a nice guy, being Carly's boyfriend she wouldn’t settle for just a standard guy, he treated her well and would never ever lay a finger on her in a way which would hurt her. Then you got George he was the most annoying guy you could meet, he doesn't leave me alone, forever texting me, phoning me, wanting to meet up, at school I can't get away from him, even when I'm working through my break time doing art work, a time when I just want to be alone, he comes and joins me. They were now following us around the shops.

Carly dragged me into Top Shop on the way to catch our bus, she was pulling tops out tops holding them up against me, then disagreeing with her option and hanging it back up. I had finally persuaded her to start looking for clothes for herself, as she’s hardly brought anything.

“Not my colour sorry.” Carly laughed as I help a long purple top out and showing it to her, she flashed her famous frowns.

“Not for you, for me, you know with some leggings.”

“Or just as a dress.” George chirped up, I frowned towards him.

“Too short.”

“I don't mind.” he laughed, and these types of comments were the ones which pissed me off. I pushed it back onto the rail and found my size, hanging it on my arm.

“guess who it is.” Carly said turning me to look in the direction of the mystery person, he was walking towards us, setting the butterflies off in my stomach again, they were beating against my sides again, even more as he came closer.

“Hey Dan.”

“Hey nice top.”

“Thanks, so did you buy anything new then?” I loved how we just fell into conversation so comfortably.

“No not yet, was just about to head over to top man, and see if they’ve got anything decent.”

“I know they’ve got some really cool t-shirts, I brought some for my brother for Christmas.” Carly joined in the conversation over my shoulder he thanked her kindly.

“So what are you planning for the rest of the week?”

“Erm...”

“Don't think too hard.” I laughed, our eyes connected.

“N-nothing” he stuttered “just unpacking and school, other than that I don't know really, how come?”

“Just wondered, I could show you round the area one day?”

“That would be cool....”

“Who’s this Miya?” George said sliding his arm around me.

“This is Dan my new neighbour.” I disconnected with Dans eyes and looked up to George, glaring at him until he moved his arm from around my shoulder. “Dan this is George, my friend.” I ethicized on the word friend, surprisingly George leaned in and gave Dan a man hug.

“Well I better get back to finding them t-shirts Carly suggested, see you later.” And he was gone in a shot, heading towards top man. I shouted bye across the shop, he turned and waved just like he had done on the first day we had met, I grabbed another couple of tops, a few pairs of skinny jeans and two long cardigans.

We paid for our items and waited near the end of the till row for George and Ben, Dan approached us while we waited for them, his phone beginning to ring just as he went to speak to us. He apologised and went to join the queue, Ben and George rejoining us shortly after, I turned catching Dans eye and waved goodbye, and within that split second, George wrapped his arm around my waist, turned me around and guided me out of the shop, I pulled away from his arms.