[15] The Close Call

The holidays were soon over, and it was Tuesday, the first day back at school for a couple of months. As I pulled myself out of bed, I heard my phone ringing from somewhere in my room, I rummaged around and found it lying in the bottom of my bag, I smiled pulled on onto my face, when Dan’s name flashed on the screen.

“Morning.”

“Morning beautiful, did I wake you?”

“No I was up already.”

“How come you get up so early on a school day but not on a holiday?” he laughed

“Holidays are for lay ins.” I laughed back

“Anyway, the reason I phones was to see if you wanted to come over on Friday?”

“You like to plan ahead don't you.”

“Yes so?”

“No reason, why Friday? Why not tonight or tomorrow?”

“Because tonight I have football training, tomorrow you have art club.”

“You remember that?” I smiled to myself

“Yea of course, anyway then on Thursday I have a football match against your school, so Friday was a good day, because it means you can stay round later.”

“I think I may have to come and watch that match then, and that is a good plan, well mum will probably be out like she has been for the past few Fridays, so it shouldn’t be a problem.”

“Great, I'm looking forward to it already.” He laughed

“Me too, well I better go and get ready, otherwise I will be late for school.”

“Ok I’ll you around.” we said our goodbyes and he was gone.

I met Carly at the top of the road as we headed off to school she striked up the conversation straight away, asking every question possible about valentines day. We discussed the football match as we arrived at school, the wanna be’s were laughing in front of us. We entered the warm building through the student entrance and made our way straight to our form room. The group of girls were gathered in the corner near me and Carly, there conversation turning onto the topic of the football match on Thursday.

“I've heard there are some fit guys in New Quay high football team.” Taylor said at the beginning of the conversation.

“Yea?” Haley replied with a small amount of excitement in her voice.

“Yea, so I think we should maybe stay around after school to watch the match.”

“Good idea, on the plus side George and Jake are playing, that's got to be a bonus right?”

“I’ve seen the boys at New Quay and they’re definitely better.” Sophia joined the conversation in her quiet tone.

“What do you know about boys, you’re never going to get a boyfriend.” Taylor shouted back at Sophia, at that moment I wanted to shout back at Taylor for her but Carly stopped me. Sophia was the quiet one, the newest of the group as she only started at the beginning of year 11, and was the only one in the group that spoke to me and Carly. The bell rang for first lesson, and we headed to art, with Sophia in toe behind us, as we reached Miss Heelth’s room, she opened the door with a big smile on her face. She welcomed us back and questioned about how much work we had done over the holidays.

The day went by quickly and Sophia sat with us in nearly every lesson after joining us in art. As I made my way to school in a rush the next morning I bumped into Lloyd as he walked down my garden path.