Chapter 13

Russell at the media.

THEODORE

Irene had been avoiding me ever since Thursday when she had a panic attack in my presence and I knew better than to speak to her during that period but I've had enough of it and I made a mental note to speak to her in the evening.

All the guys would be hanging out at TY's later in the evening and I intended to confront her. TY lived alone as his parents were based abroad. He insisted he was going to stay back to complete his secondary education. I took a quick glance at the wall clock at the center of my room. It was already some minutes past ten in the morning and the house was empty.

My parents had to attend a function and my brothers were probably chilling out at their places or hanging out with friends, and the servants were in the staff quarters as they were done with their morning chores.

I decided to find some place to hang out as boredom was eating me up. I took a walk outside the mansion and followed the clip clap sounds of the shears the gardener used to trim the flowers to the back of the house where my dog's kennel. Russell my eight months old male Siberian Husky was taken for breeding a week before resumption and was returned late the night before.

"Boss man." The gardener Sesan who was in his late twenties greeted with mock respect. "Hey dude, been a while. What's been going on?" I asked opening the small lock to the kennel.
"I've been good. I just traveled to the village to see my mother. How have you been?" He asked me dropping the shears he held earlier on the interlocked floor.

"Been good." I replied absentmindedly as I watched Russell rush out of the kennel in excitement. He wagged his tail as I squatted and ruffled his thick fur. "I missed you boy." I said and he jumped ecstatically.

"Someone's really happy to see me yeah?" I said chuckling after.

Russell wagged his tail and rushed to towards the staff quarters. I turned to Sesan as soon as Russell was out of sight. "Should in case my parents get back before I return, tell them that I took Russell out for a walk and I'll be stopping by at the beach for a while."

"Sure man. Have fu-" A loud screech reached my hearing followed by Russell's barks. I followed the sounds to the staff quarter. A feminine figure was hiding away from the dangerous looking dog. Looking closer, I saw that it was the young servant that I presumed was about my age.

"Come, boy." I beckoned to Russell and he immediately made for me still wagging his very furry tail. I glanced at the still very terrified young lady and back to the bucket of clothes a meter or two away from me. "You can get on with what you're doing, he won't hurt you."

She said nothing and didn't move an inch. I walked closer to her and Russell trailed behind. "Don't come any closer with that beast." she stuttered. How can one be so terrified of a harmless furry animal. I thought.

"He won't hurt you. Calm down." I said standing beside her and I watched her features ease a bit. "He's familiar with all the other workers. It's because you're new." She nodded in understanding.

I noticed she was studying me as though I were a book. It then occurred to me that she had that look and glint in her eyes whenever she was around me. I wasn't sure what it was, Curiosity? Admiration? Or Pity?

I immediately snapped out of it. "Who are you?" I asked. "Huh?" Was the reply I got. Could she perhaps be a spy? But who would want to spy on us? and why?

"I said who are you?". "I'm Lucy. Lucinda". Lucy? Lucinda reminded me of Lucia. Snap out of it Theodore. I shook my head and gratefully I did get out of the little trance forming in my head. "I didn't ask what your name is, I asked who are you?". She looked confused "I'm a worker here." she said with confusion still written across her face and I decided to let it go.