Chapter 9

IRENE

Seated in the car with Desmond, I watched the city as we passed by. Lovely by Billie Eilish and Khalid playing softly from the stereo. Desmond had his gaze straight on the road as he drove.

"What happened?" He asked not looking away from the road. I didn't respond and he spoke up again. "It's okay if you don't want to..."

"It's my mum." I cut him short. Desmond was a close friend anyway and he knew that I had issues with my mum so I could tell him. "She's trying to be nice."

"Then let her." I shook my head and he spoke up this time looking at me. "She wants to fix things with you, let her." "No." I said with finality.

Desmond chuckled lightly as he drove into my compound "We can have this conversation later, now we have a slumber party to hold." he said turning of the ignition.

"Slumber party? It's a sleepover Des." I said to him and he grinned. "It's the same thing Irene." he said and we got out of the car and walked into the building still arguing about sleepovers and slumber parties.

Getting into my room, I fell on my bed in exhaustion. Exhaustion from literally everything. "Get your lazy ass out of that bed and go freshen up." Desmond said folding his hands across his chest standing in front of me like an overbearing father.

I let out a soft sigh and got up. Desmond left my room as soon as I did and I stripped out of the uncomfortable dress I had on.

A warm shower was definitely what I needed after a stressful day. After my shower, I felt a lot lighter and better.
Seated on my bed in a pajamas with Desmond who also had a pajamas, we were trying to decide on which movie to watch.

"I just downloaded Mulan and I haven't watched it. We could watch it together." He said, his eyes on the laptop in front of us. "That sounds like a great idea but knowing the state I'm in now, I'll sleep anytime so let's just settle for something else."

"Okay, like what?" He asked going through the movies on his laptop. A smirk found it's way to my face. "I have an idea, how about we watch The Eye of a Phoenix."

The horrified look on his face got me doubling up in laughter. The Eye of a Phoenix was the movie that made Desmond so famous as he was the lead actor. It was the story of a young orphan boy who had lost everything in life including his legs but had a talent and that was art. Drawing, painting and molding sculptures.

His name was Baby tyga in that movie and that was his ALIAS in the industry. It was even his social media username.

It was a very emotional movie and was very interesting but for some reason Desmond didn't like watching it."No, I don't want to watch it." he said with a scowl on his face. I chuckled at how cute he looked with creased brows.

"But it's a nice movie. C'mon let's watch it." I urged smiling sheepishly at him. "Okay." he said wearing a grumpy look. He clicked on the movie and we started watching. Desmond looking all bored and I giddy.

My phone dinged and I looked up at the screen. It was a message from a private number and it read: Have you ever wondered what death is like?
I hissed and threw my phone on the other side of the bed. It was definitely some prankster trying to mess with me. I ignored the message and settled in to begin the movie.

About forty five minutes into the movie, I started feeling sleepy and I tried my very best to keep my eyes open but I failed brutally. The last thing I remembered was Desmond gently stroking my hair urging me to give in to sleep.

                               •••••

A loud deafening sound filled my ears and my eyes flew open. I knew what that sound was, it was my alarm. Getting down from my bed and stretching lightly, I sighted Desmond by my mirror fully dressed combing his hair.