Chapter 52

IRENE

Immediately I opened my eyes, I regretted it. I knew what day it was, the D day, my mum's wedding to Mayowa. Even though it was going to be later in the afternoon, I still couldn't get rid of the anxiety I was feeling.

I took a quick glance at the clock at the other end of the room and checked the time. It was just six O'clock. I said a quick prayer and walked out of my room.

After knocking twice, the door to my mum's room was pulled open and by Mayowa. I tried to look into the room for my mum. "Where is she?" I asked.

"At work, she has a meeting to attend. She'll be back by nine O'clock." He said and closed the door behind him. That was when I noticed the gym bag he slung around his shoulder.

"Where are you off to?" I asked even though I could clearly see he looked gym ready.

"The gym." He said flatly. I nodded and walked away. The couple were not in any way acting like it was their day and I began to wonder if the pre wedding jitters people always talked about didn't really exist.

I hurried back to my room to get ready for the shoot I had, scheduled for that morning. Eugenia would be at the house at any moment and I wouldn't want to keep her waiting or make an appearance at the shoot late.

➪➪➪➪➪

I got home exactly one hour to the commencement of the wedding. The entire premises looked beautiful and soft music was playing. The guests would begin to arrive soon and it actually did dawn on me that my mum was getting married, to an enemy.

I hurried into the house and dashed to my room where my makeup artist, hair stylist and fashion designer were all waiting for me.

Funny how I was watching my mum's life get ruined right in front of me without doing anything about it. But then, what could I do.

It took a total of one hour, forty two minutes to get me ready and by then, the ceremony had already started.

Walking down the stairs in my peach dress, I prayed silently that there would be a divine intervention. One that will stop the wedding from happening.

Getting outside, I sighted Tobais and Desmond from afar and walked towards them with a big smile on my face. Oh how I've missed my friends. I couldn't wait for the wedding to be over so I could be United with my friends again.

"Baby girl!" Tobais said picking me up and spinning me around like I weighed nothing. Desmond did the same thing as soon as Tobais stood me back on the ground.

"You guys!" I whined. "I'm a person, not a toy."

"But you're so small and weightless." Desmond cooed and I didn't fight the urge to roll my eyes.

I looked around, everything seemed to be going well.

Oh Jah!

Still skimming through the guests, my eyes sighted Theodore and I felt my heart jump. I could only get a view of his side profile because he was staring intently at something, someone.

I followed his eyes and traced it to the the front where my mum sat, hands intertwined with Mayowa's as the priest walked onto the podium.

Guess there's a lot more people that are not happy about the wedding.

I returned my gaze to his face only to realize that he was no longer looking in their direction, he was staring at me, intently. My palms suddenly got sweaty and I looked away but I could still feel his eyes boring holes into my face.