Chapter 1

IRENE

IRENE

Opening my eyes slightly, I glanced at wall clock in my room. It was already 6:30am. I turned to the other side of my bed hugging a pillow.

Wait! It's 6:30am and today is Monday!

“Shit!” I cursed as I got out of bed. I was supposed to be up as early as 5:30am so I could get ready for school and I overslept which was so unlike me. Assembly starts by 7:30am and I was going to be late, that's for sure.

I pulled off my hair bonnet and stripped out of my night wear. I walked into my adjoined bathroom to quickly have my bath but who was I kidding? There was no way I could get to school before the assembly starts.

Walking out of my bathroom after a hot fifteen minutes shower with a towel around my chest and another over my head like a turban, I rushed to my dressing table and took a seat on the chair right in front of it.

I applied my body cream, dried and oiled my hair and then packed it into a tight bun and and neatly adjusted the edges. 

I reached for my neatly ironed school uniform in my wardrobe and placed it on my bed. I wasn't rushing anymore. I knew I was already late as I saw it was already 7:03am.

At 7:32am, I was staring at my reflection in the mirror. White short sleeved packet shirt, black high waist skirt and an oxblood colored blazer. Claret High School  neatly embroidered on my shirt and blazer.

I picked up my badge from the dressing table where I had put it the previous night and pinned it to my shirt. All prefects at Claret High School owned a badge which they wore and as the Female sports Prefect, I also owned one also. Taking one last look at the mirror, I slung my bag on my left shoulder and exited my room.

My black Italian leather shoes hit the marbled tiles of the stairways making a rhythmic sound. Taking a quick glance at my wrist watch, I sucked in my breath. I was late, it was almost 7:40am and I had not left my house.

“Good morning miss Coker.” the helpers greeted as I walked past them into the kitchen. My chanel coco madmoiselle perfume filled the air. I had a quick breakfast of cornflakes with extra creamy milk and made my way out of the house.

My personal chauffeur was waiting outside beside the car. I walked to the car and he opened the door for me. I got in and the drive to my school started. “Good morning sir.” I greeted my chauffeur Mr Sunday and he beamed at me “Miss Coker—”
“Irene.” I corrected him and he smiled.
“Good morning.” he responded.

The drive to my school was much more faster then I expected. It was like Mr Sunday knew I was late. Actually he did. He had been my driver since I entered the senior secondary school two years back.

Mr Sunday parked and I got down from the car giving him a curt wave and making my way into the school premises. It was already five minutes to eight and I rushed to the assembly hall. The crowd exiting the hall indicated that the assembly was over so I just walked to my class like the rest of the students did.