Chapter 37

Sorry, it took longer than I thought it would. I've been going through such a hard time since my auntie passed away. I know it is short. I apologise if it is a little confusing, but I didn't have the time to read a few previous chapters, so I'm hoping it will work. Hope you enjoy it anyway.

As I enter the bottom ground, a strong odour of gun powder hit me, so powerful I almost vomited. I could feel some of the bullet casings laying on the ground as I wave my hand trying to get rid of the thin layer of smoke from the RPG explosion.

Laying on the floor is some of the deceased from both territories, who were either wiped out by the impact of the rocket or murdered by the enemy's bullets. I slide my way throw the crowd, coughing as the smoke enters my lungs, holding onto the destroyed fence, allowing my fingers to curl around the slim black and grey strands of metal.

I frown as I see someone familiar, laying on the burnt sward. The trembling man groaned as he laid on the floor covering in dust and blood, unknown if it came from himself or any of his associates.

I pull out my dark 40-calibre from my tan, leather boot as I gradually tread my way over, making sure I kept my mind unoccupied just in case one of his possibly not really 'deceased' men decides to jump me, which has happened a lot and one of the oldest tricks in the book.

"I judged you wrong," I admit, stopping at least a metre away, keeping my distance, so I have more of an opportunity to fire if he makes an unwise move. "I thought you were just a spoilt man, who gained whatever he wanted, when he wanted, but I was wrong,"

The man's glassy eyes met mine, as I bend my knee to kneel on the floor, leaning my elbow on my leg, allowing my muscles to have a chance to rest from holding that terribly hefty RPG.

"Your smart I give you that. You planned this at the start, didn't you? Planned to have this small group to distract us, allowing you the chance to escape and it worked!" I grinned, licking my upper teeth, before flicking my tongue with a light 'pop' noise. My eyes move away from the man for a quick second, taking in the dead surrounding us.

"Well... it worked in a way... you just didn't plan to take the brunt of the rocket. They were in the wrong place... I guess they were supposed to be on the south of the Sanctuary, am I right Robert?"

His eyes filled with rage, which quickly turned into agony as he tries to roll onto his back. I stand to my feet, aiming the pistol to his head, finger on the trigger. I closed in, using my boot and roughly pushed him onto his back causing him to cry out in pain.

"You're a fucking bitch!" He grunts as he glares at me, holding onto his waist. I just shrug my shoulders, showing how unaffected I am about his words.

"I've been called worse... I have to say I've never met anyone like you," A smirk sits upon his face, eyebrows frowned giving me one of his evilest looks, obviously happy about the compliment. "You're the weakest person I've ever met. You're weak, you're arrogant, you're spoilt but smart, that's the only good thing about you... you remind me of Negan in a way, but... he's not weak, he isn't a coward unlike someone,"

"Y-your lying! You're a coward!" He barks, a loud cackle is his response. I'm the one aiming a gun at his head, and I'm the coward.

"You make everyone do your dirty work, I think Maya would have been a better leader, she actually does the work. She did quite some damage to me," I state, my smile turning more dominant as the left side lifts slightly higher.

The man shakes his head furiously, breathing heavily. "She's a woman, women can't be leaders!" I roll my eyes; how can a man be so full of himself.

I let out a loud, breathy sign as I stand to my feet. Aiming my pistol swiftly to his leg, firing a bullet into his kneecap. He cries in pain, sobbing as the pain swept through his leg, completely immobilising him.

"Unlike men, women know how to torture a man, not physical or sexually. All we have to do is crush his ego, men's ego is their biggest flaw... their egos are what keeps them going,"

My head lifts up, facing towards the tree line. A decaying body limps its way through the trees, once the one comes through a dozen more makes an appearance. Robert starts breathing rapidly, once hears the growls and the snapping of jaws.

"And their egos are what gets them in trouble, they never admit their defeat, rest in peace Robert," A large grin sitting on my face as I take my leave. Robert crying and screaming knowing his death is coming.

One foot at a time, I walk up the small number of steps. Holding onto the dark blue, chipping metal door, staring out to the distance where a walker inch closer to the man laying defenceless on the floor, before entering the Sanctuary and shutting the cries out, leaving the walkers to have their final meal before they join Robert.