Chapter 39

Days dragged by, the heat intensified, hitting midsummer is just horrific for someone pregnant. Sitting out on the stained, concrete steps observing the workers, boarding up the fencing that was impacted by the explosion.  Eyes drift, staring at the front section of the Sanctuary. The once members now walking the front base, hiding us from their fellow wandering, the prisoners forcefully accompanying them in the secured pen.

The ache slowly spread across my forehead, getting worse as the sun blazed upon me. Hand subconsciously sitting on the growing bump, feeling a slight jab against my hand causing a smile to appear even with the world practically at an end at least there are still things that can make someone happy. 

The nerves were present and they have been from the very start since discovering the unexpected growth. The death of Lori always comes to mind, fearing that the same fate will fall upon me, now understanding the worries floating through her mind. Also terrified the bleed would return but instead of the happiness, it would be total sadness and heartbreak.

"Well, Well. Why am I not surprised?" A crocked voice scoffs from the back metal door, that's badly dented from the explosion. A loud clang echoes, jumping from the sudden noise. Hair falls in front of my face as I rest my head on my shoulder, staring back at the figure.

 "Shouldn't the person who caused... all of this... have the compassion to at least help?"

My eyes roll at the snide comment, my arms resting on my lap as the ache worsens as the words leave his mouth, as snarky remakes carry on coming out of his mouth. "I'll never understand why Negan kept you around,"

Biting my lip, not even wincing as the teeth scrape against the roaring red injury that came after an incident that occurred days ago. "At least I can say I assisted in the standoff, unlike someone who practically coward away,"

Hands akimbo, finally bringing the attention onto him since he required it so much. The bump is dramatically noticeable through the thin, dirty tank top glistening with the effects of such heat. A smile spread as his face turned from cockiness to anger, practically raging.

"I've heard about the child you lost, such tragedy. Are you really that naive? You couldn't even look after the first,"  

Fist clench at the demeaning comment, jaw clench as the anger starts to spread. Eyebrows clenching, glaring at the man smiling knowing a reaction has come from the remark. Arms folding in front of his chest, proud at such a response. Simply nodding moving eye contact away to stare at the sky, thinking about the little girl that perished. 

Reaching forward gripping the dark material covering his upper body, swiping his leg sending him to the floor, a hallow breath escapes his lung, light cough leaving his system as he tries to get over the sudden shock. Pulling a small blade from the pocket of my jeans, placing the sharp edge against his jugular as the workers turn their attention to the situation unfolding before them.

"Don't you ever! Ever mention my daughter! I know you were once a father and I know you'd do anything for them... If you ever mention her again..." Leaning down allowing my breath to blow over his ear to whisper. "I will make sure that's the last thing to ever leave your mouth,"

Removing the blade, pushing his head against the concrete to take a seat back on the uncomfortable step, tears filling at his words run wild in my head. Knowing his comment wasn't wrong, I couldn't look after the first, I couldn't protect her and how the fuck am I meant to do the same with this one when there's a war upon us all.

Brought out of my thoughts by a sudden commotion at the front, keeping out of sight just in case someone from Robert's group returned for revenge for the brutal death of their leader who now roams with other fellow walkers in the large sectioned off area.

"You're going to make me count," 

Eyes widening at the sudden voice, throat practically collapsing as all emotions start flying. Excitement, anger, sadness and happiness, a grin sitting on my face as the familiar rough voice reverberates, chocking as the name escapes my mouth as counting begun

"Rick," 

Sorry for this chapter being short, I struggled with this one since I had no idea where to go with it so I decided to get back onto the storyline a little bit in. Hope it will help for the next chapter. Hope you enjoy it.