I Was Never Loved- chp 25

Chapter 25

"Um she doesn't mean that, you see what she means is that Kai is like a second mother to her you know." Mom tried.

"What are you talking about, she looks just like mom when she was younger."; Aunt Jen said spitefully, "Why Anna, are you disowning your own grandchild?" Mom glared at her but said nothing. Aunt Jen was perfectly right. Emi did look alot like Nana, so much so that it would have been down right retarded to even suggest that they weren't related. Nana eyed Emi without saying a word. Somehow everything had gotten really awkward really fast. I could tell that everyone was waiting for Nana to speak.

"How old is she?" She said at last.

"Two years, couple months." I responded timidly.

"I see." Oh boy, she was about to pass her judgement. "And what did you say her name was?"

"I-it's Emily but she answers to Emi as well."

She nodded contemplatively. "Alright, it's getting late and it's a school night. Take her to bed and get there yourself, we'll talk about this tomorrow." Was I mistaken? There was a warm smile across Nana's face. There was no reason to question it, something told me I didn't want to know why. As quickly as possible I headed up the stairs. Emi was already in sleep clothes so half my work was done.

"Emi did you already have your teeth brushed?" She nodded sleepily  as she made herself comfortable on the bed. Aww, I really didn't want to disturbed her but she never necessarily had the best track record for telling the truth  when she was half asleep. "Really? Come show me your teeth." She groaned and mumble something that I couldn't make out. I picked her up though she was squirming to go back to the bed. "Come on Emi just a quick look."

"So much for not being a whore."

My head whipped around and I saw Tara leaning against the door post. Well wasn't this just lovely. Don't tell me that Nana sent her to bed too. . .

I ignored her and turned my attention back to Emily who was impatiently waiting to close her mouth. After looking over her teeth I laid her back on the bed leaving enough room for both me and Tara.

"Come lie down mommy. . ." Emi said, already dowzing.

"I'm coming sweetheart.." I told her before leaving the room to get my teeth brushed. When I came back Tara was seated and waiting. I groaned inwardly. Weren't we suppose to be going to bed? I looked to the bed and saw Emi staring at me through half masked eyes. She was still waiting on me. I crawled in beside her then pulled her to me.  Without hesitation Emi placed her hand right in my PJ top and was alseep in seconds.

"So what did Aunt Anna do when she found out that you were sleeping around?"

"Tara I'm not having this conversation with you now please turn off the light and go to sleep or leave the room?" I said closing my eyes. At the moment I didn't want to hear a word of what she wanted to say.

"Fine I don't need you to tell me  about your life as a whore anyways, the evidence is sleeping next to you." She got up from the small couch in the room, turned off the light then left. Ugh! Why was she so-so-grr I didn't even know what to say. I was no whore and Emi is my little gift from above. It was Emi's rhythmic breathing that put me to sleep. Having her curled up in my arms gave me an undescribable joy. I wanted her to stay there.

A sharp knock on my door woke me.

"Kai rise and shine, you have school!" Wow, Aunt Rebecca came to wake me, how refreshing. I looked around and saw Emi still curled in my arms and Tara on the other side of the bed still sleeping.