I Was Never Loved- chp 24

Chapter 24

The entire student body that stood before us began to whisper. The gossips were probably having a field day with all this drama unfolding. I saw from the corner of my eyes that Madelyn was staring at me in utter shock. I didn't expect her to understand but the thing was that unlike her I was use to being gossiped about so it wouldn't really bother me as much as I knew it would have bothered her.

"Kai you can't do this." Madelyn whispered.

"Yes I can." I assured her. I stared everyone square in the face. "You guys can stop spreading stuff now, it was me who the boys attacked." The mumbling only got worse. For once I knew that they had absolutely no reason to be ttalking about me since I was in NO way involved in what happened which felt damn good. I was able to keep my head high for once . . .

"And that concludes our presentation for our annual day of Drama."

We all turned and saw the Body, excluding Jayden, bend the corner and enter the hall. What the hell was a Drama Day? They walked up  to us, that was when I noticed Jonie standing to the side.

"Wait this was the Drama Day presentation?" I heard someone ask.

"Yup, what do you guys think?" Sydney asked with a hopeful smile. There was a long pause as everyone thought things over. Suddenly they all burst out into loud, appreciative cheers as they clapped. Wow they actually bought it.

"That explains why there was so much to gossip about all day, best year ever."

"Yeah it's usually lame but this time you guys out did yourselves." Someone added. The crowds slowly dispersed until Madelyn, the body and I were the only ones left in the hall. I saw them all exchanged relieved glances. There was no way that this was planned.

"Was this all really apart of your Drama Day presentation because using me like that was-"

"Shut up you little bitch, the only thing that was an act was us entering the hall to dismiss the crowd. We didn't tell anyone to do anything to you and quite frankly if Kai hadn't put her ass on the line for you then we wouldn't have intervened so you might want to treat her better." Madelyn looked at Jonie as if she had taken serious offense to her blunt sentence. "Don't look at me like that, you know I'm right."

"Yeah, Kai's a good friend even though you're not." Sydney told her.

"And let me tell you this; no matter how much closer you or Kai get if anything should happen to you again, I don't care how deeply tangled Kai is in the situation, we're gonna find a way to ensure that only her name gets cleared. Basically you've just used your get out of jail free card." Jonie continued.

Madelyn lowered her head as she turned to walk away.

"Where are you going? You haven't apologized to Kai as yet." Sydney stated. Madelyn turned to look at her before turning to me. Her eyes made her appear much older. She looked as if she had seen too much for her mind to handle.

"I'm sorry Kai, really I am. I should never have said what I said to you." She chuckled halfheartedly. "I guess you were right, I didn't know how difficult it was or how devastating." She continued weakly. "Can you forgive me?"

I smiled, "If I hadn't then I wouldn't have stuck up for you like that."

I saw a smile tug at the corner of her mouth but it faded. She turned and left.

"There, we did our part can we go?" I heard Erin ask impatiently.

"Yeah, get out of here." Sydney replied in annoyance. There was still a good amount of animosity going around because of that night at the dance where Syd found Kyle cheating on her with Erin. Everyone could tell that he wanted her back but the thing with Sydney was that once she threw something away she never ever thought to take a second glance at it. His situation was hopeless. Erin rolled her eyes in disgust, flipped her hair then walked off. Syd looked just as disgusted as she watched her leave.