I Was Never Loved- chp 6

Chapter 6

The next day I hid in the girl's bathroom for the entire day. I couldn't stay home but I didn't want anyone seeing me either, not like this. I now had a black eye and a few very noticeable bruises. As was expected mom was angry that Jayden had come over—without warning at that—and she was even more pissed he had more interest in me than her son. Matt was the golden child, he was meant to be fawned and fussed over by everyone that came by the house. In her mind, Jayden was no exception and not when Matt has taken such a shine to him. I still had a headache from my head being banged into the toilet and my skin was still pale from the poisoning. In short I looked awful and was therefore in no position to be around the rest of humanity. If only she could remember I had to go out into polite society, if only she hit where I could hide it.

"Kai . . .?" Oh no. What was Jayden doing out of class? We still had half an hour left of the last period. My only solace was that I was in the girl's bathroom; at the very least, it meant he had to stay out. "Kai are you in here? Jonie said you were." The door opened slowly. No . . .he wasn't supposed to come in. He couldn't see me like this. I'd never live down the shame. My eyes darted to the bolt of the door to the stall I was hiding in. It was locked thankfully. No matter what happened, I would not open it for him. I heard footsteps walking down the line, getting closer. "Kai . . . it's okay to answer, I've already gotten myself in trouble by being in here and I'll be in even bigger trouble if a girl walks in so how's about you come on out so we can leave." He tried all the doors on his way down. Only one more then he would be at my stall. My heart was pounding furiously in my chest. He tried my door. My breath caught in my throat as he toggled with it. "So here's where you are." He said as he continued trying the door.

"No . . . please . . . just go away."

The door stopped moving. For a moment no sound was made then I heard him walk further away. The door to the stall next to me opened. What was he doing?

"I did not risk my ass for you to hide away from me."

My head shot up and I saw him climbing over the wall that separated this stall from the next. Who the hell designed these bathrooms?! He jumped down into the stall then turned to face me. I hid my face in my lap.

"Kai what's wrong? Jonie tells me you've been in here since morning, what gives? That's a whole day of lessons and assignments."

I kept silent, not daring to look up at him. Jayden was the last person I wanted to see me like this. Maybe if I was nonresponsive for a long time he would leave. No such luck. He placed his hand under my chin and lifted my head, forcing me to look at him. The surprise was evident on his face as he stared. I tried pulling my head away but he held it firmly. His eyes softened as I saw realization slip into them. "Did your mother do this. . . ?"

In his moment of uncertainty his grip loosened and I pulled my face away.

"It's nothing for you to concern yourself with." I mumbled as my gaze fell to the floor.

"Yes it is. Kai you look as if you're about to collapse and you say it's nothing for me to worry about?! Did you even leave to get something to eat? I didn't respond. Lunch. Food. I had no appetite for it. My trip outside the bathroom would be for nothing. I would risk being seen for a stomach that still threatened to violently remove anything I tried putting into it. "Wha—Kai you can't do that, you look pale and malnourished and—"

"Glad to know how appealing I look." I mumbled sarcastically. Did he honestly think I owned no mirrors at home? One glance this morning was all I'd needed to hide out in here all day. When they weren't so raw tomorrow or perhaps the next day, I would do my best to apply makeup and hope for the best.