I Was Never Loved- chp 20

Chapter 20

I stood watching the smoke rise from the rubble that now lay before me. No . . . no .. .

How could this happen? I felt Matt shaking by my side. I wrapped my around his shoulders pulling him to me. There was no doubt in my mind that mom had something to do with this, I also knew that there was no way she could get away with this. This time she had gone too far without thinking through the consequences. Before me was all the evidence needed to convict her; my dad's charred body. Maybe now we would finally be free-wait . . . no . . .if mom got incarcerated then Matt and I would become wards of the state being tossed from home to home 'til I would be old enough to be removed from the system . . . No matter what happened I would never be free.

Half an hour later practically every officer in the local station was on our front lawn. The whole area had been tapped off but from what I heard they were still trying to decide whether or not to rule it as a homicide. Matt and I still hadn't moved from where we were standing. I didn't know what was going through his mind but I was stunned. How could mom go this far? More importantly how would she be able to get out of this. I had to admit that I was curious to know because she always seemed to know just what to say.

I heard the front door open. Was that really the smartest thing for mom to do? Did she want to be caught or something. I turned and saw her . . .crying!

She walked right over to the head detective, threw her arms around him and wept. What the freakin hell?! A few others crowded around her.

"Ma'am can you tell us what happened and if you know the victim?" Officer charles asked, easing mom off himself. Mom stared at at 'trying to compose herself', oh please.

"He's my husband I -I can't imagine him-" She broke into fresh tears.

"I see, we're very sorry . . .um can you tell us what happened?"

Wow because she was really going to tell the truth, idiot.

"Well- we were having an argument. He had just come into town and he-he wanted to take Matthew and Kai-Ann with him to some movie or the other-he- they didn't want to go and I was telling him that he couldn't force them-" she paused, my guess, for dramatic effect. One of the officers urged her on. "We argued, his temper flared and he stormed out. I looked through my bedroom window and saw him throw up the hood of his car- from the moment he arrived he mentioned some sort of- of car trouble. I had told him to get it checked but he complained about the money- anyways after he tinkered with whatever he was trying to fix he got into the car and then-then . . .then . . . "

"It's okay ma'am, thanks for your info."

That last sentence reminded me of why she never got caught. Somehow she always had a story and she was damn good at selling it. A part of my heart sank. She would get away with killing my father. I looked to Matt, who was staring at mom with a certain numbness. He'd seen her do bad things but nothing this bad.

"Hey guys come check this out." Another officer called from the pile of rubble. They all walked over to him. "You see this?" He asked as he pointed to the rubble. "There's no engine, nothing from the front of the car. This was definitely caused by something here."

Officer Charles turned back to mom. "Hey um Ma'am did you say your husband was messing with the font end?" Mom nodded as if she were traumatized. I sighed on the inside. This was why I was never put under observation by child services. "Could that have done it Chase?"

Chase looked through the rubble again only now more thoughtfully. Were they serious? This was not an accident!

"Yeah . . .it could actually, you see there were some cars that came in from Japan a few years back, if this was one of them then it should have been sent back because of some kind of malfunction in the engine." He too turned to mom, "Do you remember how long your husband's had this car?"