I Was Never Loved- chp 23

Chapter 23

By the end of lunch the entire school was buzzing. As I walked by students I noticed them staring at me. This really shouldn't bother me, afterall I had gone through  virtually the same thing back at my old school. Walking by a bunch of freshmen I heard one of them whisper something about me. Even the bottom of the food chain knew. I sighed and kept walking, soon I would be in Gym, the perfect place to vent my frustration.

After we all changed we were told to meet Coach out on the field. Apparently we were gonna start cross country for Gym; don't ask me how much sense that made because I never saw the point in that. We all headed to the field. Coach told us that for safety reasons we would simply run the length of the track until we ended up running about a mile. When a few girls heard that they began to complain but the coach quickly shut them up.

"Now we're going to do some warm ups first so grab a partner."

"Hey Kai you wanna be my partner?" Katie asked.

"No way, she's my partner." Cynthia corrected. A bunch of them began arguing over who's partner I would be but I couldn't understand why. . .

"Back you damn, pathetic vultures. She's my partner."

I turned immediately and saw Jonie, fully changed, standing behind me. I felt my heart leap, if I was ever glad to see her it was now. She grabbed me and pulled me away. We began our sit ups. It surprized me that she was actually here afterall she hated Gym, alot. Did she care that much? My eyes drifted over to some of the girls that were a distance off. Why were they all staring at me? I turned to Jonie knowing that she would have the answer.

"They wanted to be your partner so they could interrogate you about your rape, they're curious." She informed me matter of factly. I knew I began to blush at that point. I was definitely glad that Jonie had pulled me away or I would have had to sit through a whole lot of uncomfortable questions that I was sure I didn't want to answer. My eyes dropped to the floor. How embarrassing, my entire class was looking at me and processing my rape in their heads. Half of them wanted details and the others just wanted to stare. "Don't worry about them, they haven't the intelligence to act any more mature than primates placed infront of a bowl of bananas."

I Smiled but couldn't manage a laugh, I just wasn't in the mood.

We lined up by the starting line and waited for the signal.

"So what was it like?" Alyssa , the girl directly to my left asked. Just then the shot went off. I couldnt' help but sprint ahead. Why would I want to explain something like that? Couldn't they just let it rest?

"Hey Kai wait up, we can run together." Kara called. That was enough to make me speed up. If we ran together the conversation would be strictly about things that ought not  be discussed. It wasn't a problem for me to speed up, by now I was use to it. At my other school I would run as many laps as I was allowed around the field just so I could clear my head. The monotony of the jog was enough to keep me from going mad. Sometimes when I felt like screaming I would take a run and that would be enough to soothe me . . .for awhile.

My mind slowly drifter. Soon I was only aware of my breathing and I found myself passing the coach more and more frequently. Had I sped up? The rhythmic sound of my breathing soon took me from reality. I was now in an open field on a warm day. I . . .I look happy. There by my side was . . .Jayden, he was holding Emi who was giggling uncontrollably. Would we ever be like that . . .?

"Hey!" I was immediately pulled out of thought. I looked back and saw Lexy slowly catching up on me. "What the heck are you running from? Do you know how fast you're going and hell you've already done 9 laps, coach said we only need to do 6." I felt myself slow down. Had I really done so much? But I just started. I continued running until I got back to where the coach was standing. It wasn't until I had stopped running that I realized the pain in my chest. My breathing was actually strained. I leaned over placing my hands on my knees for support.