Chapter Five: Look Away, Look Away, Look Away

Everyone soon recovered from their injuries, and Bo made great progress in getting better. He'd been able to stand and walk properly without pain. Things were finally looking up.

Cooter was able to repair all the damage done to General Lee, unbeknownst to the Dukes of course. Christine moved into their barn, wanting to live close to General. Cooter covered for her saying that she was taking up space at the garage and asked if it would be all right if he stored her in their barn for a while. They complied without hesitation.

Cooter, Boss Hogg, and Rosco hadn't bothered to tell the Dukes that General Lee was alive. They figured that it was best to find out on their own. All was well in Hazzard... for a spell.

--------------------

Jackson sat at a table across from Sorrel Walkmen. He held an ice pack to his face, keeping his other hand on his aching torso. Sorrel had his hand on his bleeding shoulder. His face and arms were bruised and cut up.

"At least you did your jobs half-right. I understand that kidnappin' the sheriff and attemptin' to kill a pro fighter in the Marines ain't easy tasks. BUT FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, FINISH SOMETHIN' FOR ONCE!" a shadow above them yelled.

The two of them rolled their eyes.

"I should have known Jackson could never finish the job. You couldn't even kill an eleven-year-old kid! But I expected more from you, Sorrel, you're a serial killer what were you doing out there?"

"Those cars was alive, boss. I wasted so many rounds, and believe me, I hit 'em. I shattered the one's windshield. If there was a person in there, they was dead before the car came at me," Sorrel argued.

"Wait, what'd the car look like?" Jackson asked.

"Ah, it was an orange, '69 Dodge Charger. There was a big Rebel flag on the top of it and the numbers zero and one on the side."

"General Lee..."

"Huh?"

"The day I tried to kill him, Luke had called that same car General Lee. He treated it like it was alive or somethin'. I remember, before the race, the car's parkin' brake went off and it rolled down to my car. I watched the windshield wiper drag itself along the side of my car, then fold itself back up when it was done."

"I dunno 'bout you, but it sounds like them Duke boys been messin' with the Voodoo man."

The shadow facepalmed. "There's no such thing as Voodoo and there ain't no such thing as a livin' car."

"Then you explain what happened," Jackson snarled.

The shadow said nothing in reply.

"See, I told ya, Voodoo," Sorrel scoffed.

"Shut up, you stupid Cajun," the shadow snarled.

"Ouch, oo, I'm so offended. Let me know when you come up with somethin' better to call me you pompous, overdressed marshmallow."

The shadow growled in frustration. "You'd better learn to watch your mouth, or you're goin' straight back to Death Row."

Sorrel's smile faded and he refrained from speaking any further.

The shadow moved to a map in the corner of the room. On it, Hazzard County had been circled in red marker. "Now then, I think it's time we move on to the next phase in our plan." He laughed maniacally.

Jackson muttered something under his breath.

The shadow whipped around. "Did you have somethin' to add?"

"Oh, no, I just had somethin' stuck in my throat."

"Ah, okay."

"Sir, with all due respect, I believe what Jackson's tryin' to say is no one thinks this's gonna work," Sorrel commented.

The shadow held up its hand for silence. "It'll work, trust me, I know what I'm doing."

"How can you be sure, you've never tried this kinda thing before."

"I know Boss Hogg. And after what you two did, he'll do anything to protect his precious county. Just you wait, you'll see." The shadow turned back around, facing the map. It poked a knife into Hazzard County. "And this time, the Duke boys ain't gonna be able to stop me." The shadow returned to his maniacal laughter.