Chapter Twelve: Words and Numbers

Boss Hogg walked into the law office. It'd been such a stressful day. Luke was gone, Bo was in the hospital, Jesse was ecstatic because he couldn't find Daisy. Rosco was nowhere to be found, and there was a blocked road out near Still Site Four. Could it get any worse?

He walked into his office, hoping he'd left his cigar box inside. To his surprise, he found an envelope sitting on his desktop. He plopped down in his chair and picked it up. The front of it said: Urgent! Boss Hogg shrugged and opened it. He pulled out the letter and unfolded it, his heart stopped when he recognized the handwriting. He began reading it.

Commissioner,

    By the time you read this, it'll be too late. I have the Marine, the girl, and the sheriff. If you wish to see the three of them alive again, you must sign over all of your businesses and your commissionary to me. If I don't hear from you in a few days, the sheriff will be the first to go. Either that, or he'll end up like the boy we sent to the hospital. If you want to prevent any more 'accidents,' you'll cooperate and go through with the paperwork.

                    -Texas

Boss Hogg's blood turned cold. That explained where Daisy and Rosco were. Boss Hogg couldn't just give Texas his entire livelihood but it would mean Rosco could get hurt, or worse. Boss Hogg had never been so unsure before. For once, he had no Plan B and was clueless as to what to do next.

There was one thing that didn't add up: How did Texas know Luke was a Marine? Only Hazzard locals and those who'd served with him knew that. It wasn't how the Duke boy usually introduced himself. So how did Texas know? He thought for a moment, then rushed out the door.

--------------------

Luke, Daisy, and Rosco sat in the cold room together. The three of them were all thinking different thoughts, but no one cared to voice them. They sat in silence for a long time. Things had gone downhill so fast.

Daisy and Luke were worried about Bo. They didn't know if he was alive or dead, or how badly he was hurt. The two of them were scared to death for their family.

Rosco was afraid for his life. He didn't know what was going to happen to him, or if the Four of Spades wanted him dead or alive, or if they were going to do to him what they'd done to Bo. Either way, he was scared.

"Is... is Bo alive?" Luke asked.

Rosco didn't answer.

"I'm sure he is, Luke," Daisy said reassuringly.

Luke sighed. "It shoulda been me."

"Why? So Bo could take your place here?"

"Good point."

Rosco looked up. "Ain't you even the least bit afraid of what they're gonna do to us?"

Luke dropped his gaze. "No, whatever they've got planned, I've probably seen or survived worse."

Rosco had almost forgotten that Luke had been in Vietnam. He'd heard rumors of things that had happened there. Terrible things. Nobody knew for sure though, as Luke never talked about it.

His thoughts turned to Clayton. He didn't know if he should bring it up or not. He decided he'd better not, he didn't want to add to the tension that filled the room.

Daisy shivered, her breath came out in a white, frozen cloud. Luke slipped his jeans jacket around her shoulders.

"They'll find us Daisy, don't worry," Luke said.

"I just hope you're right. I mean... with you havin' survived worse..." Daisy replied.

"I... I was younger back then, I didn't think anythin' could happen, we were so close to camp, but I was wrong. We got ambushed just outside the trench line. For months I was stuck in there."