Chapter Three: Old Times They Are Not Forgotten

"Cooter?" General Lee rumbled.

"Yes, General?" Cooter replied.

"Where're we goin'?"

"Well, if I told you, it wouldn't be much of a surprise now, would it?"

"A surprise? You never said anythin' about a surprise! General rumbled excitedly. "Am I gonna like the surprise?"

"Trust me, you're gonna love it."

As they rounded the corner of the canyon road, Kissing Cliff came into view. Cooter heard the car gasp, like air quickly passing through the air filter, as he saw his surprise. At the end of the cliff, overlooking the orange horizon, was the red Fury. There was a stack of pallets covered with a tablecloth in front of her, making for a makeshift table just low enough for the cars' air guides to be level with it. There was a small cluster of candles in the middle of it, and a canister of oil sat on either side.

"Cooter, this... this is wonderful!" General exclaimed.

"Yeah, I thought you'd like it. Go ahead, introduce yourself," Cooter replied with a smile.

He climbed out and General Lee rolled over to the Fury.

"Hello?" General rumbled timidly.

"Howdy cowboy," the Fury responded jokingly.

"M-my name's General Lee, but you can just call me General for short. Might I ask what your name is?"

"Well hello General, I'm Christine."

Cooter stood at a distance, smiling profoundly. General was killing it.

General's gaze drifted around Christine. Her body was polished and shiny. General suddenly felt embarrassed, not to mention unclean. The large stain of blood on his hood was still there. He felt heat rise to his chrome bumper and the lining on his grill. It turned red with heat, General was blushing quite a bit.

"CNH three-twenty, Hazzard County, Georgia. You're a local."

General was suddenly brought back from his trance, his chrome turned even hotter and redder. "Where're you from?"

Christine giggled softly. "California."

Her yellow California license plate read CQB-241. Her scarlet red paint glistened in the setting sun. She had a white stripe on both sides that started at her tailfin and went all the way to her headlights.

"Your shade of red, they don't make that color anymore," General observed.

"I know. Come the perks of self-reconstruction, however, I'm all set," Christine beamed.

General shook himself. "What am I doin'? I'm sorry, Christine, I'm just so nervous, and you're so beautiful, and I really didn't come prepared for this."

Christine's expression changed, her sunvisors angled upward, creating a worried look. "Well, I'm nervous too. This's the first date I've ever had with another car."

"Why're you nervous, you're the pretty one!"

"I don't know!"

"This's my first time too, I've never been on a date with anybody!"

Cooter pinched the bridge of his nose as the two cars began yelling nervously at each other.

"I mean, you were doing a good job, then you just broke down, and I didn't know what to do," Christine confessed.

"I felt like I wasn't doing very good so I decided to cut things off before they got too bad."

"No, things were going great, you didn't come off too strong, you weren't trying to make it about you... I like that."

"Really? It's just... I have so little practice and I've never even talked to another car before."

"Well, I'd say you killed it."

General sighed and looked off into the distance, turning towards the edge of the cliff. "It's a beautiful evening, ain't it?"

Christine did the same. "Yeah, I love watching the sunset."

"I concur."

Both cars seemed to relax a little, and Christine leaned into General's side as they watched the sun lower itself deeper and deeper into the canyon.