Chapter Six: Blood, Sweat, and Tears

It was truly a miracle. A miracle, that somehow, Bo and Luke Duke, were not dead. They were not dead, because the General Lee was dead. There was no way out of the car, though.

Good, Luke thought, they'll have to break through the bottom to get to us. Wherever the bottom was. The car's upside-down, Luke thought, the bottom of the car is the top of the car.

He put his arm out to catch himself as he unbuckled his seatbelt. He could see outside just faintly through where the windshield would have been. It was, by what he could tell, the trunk of a tree, the forest floor, and bits of glass and orange were strewn everywhere. He looked in Bo's direction. He was there, a chunk of glass embedded in his forehead, up by his hairline. Blood dripped from the wound. He was unconscious, as far as Luke could tell, and didn't seem to be injured too badly. It was difficult to see him like this, especially now since Luke didn't have anyone to talk to but himself. He flipped himself over onto his stomach, wrestling his legs free from underneath the dash. He always tried to be the protector, but now he felt as though he'd failed in the worst way possible.

Suddenly, Clayton's face appeared in the crack where the windshield once was. "Boo."

"You're makin' a mistake,'' Luke coughed out, "we ain't got your money."

Clayton hummed. "Now, that's where you're wrong. You've got all the pieces but you're missin' the big picture." The man touched his gun and said, "Jefferson chose his life over yours, I ain't the one to blame for this."

Clayton disappeared from the crack and there was a low grinding sound. The passenger side door was coming off somehow. There was the tearing of metal and Russell threw the door aside. Luke nearly choked on his breath. The man had done that. With his hands

Russell pulled Bo out of the wreckage and onto the ground. Luke started to climb out too. It was then that he realized how much he was hurting.

He stood up once he was out and tried to assess the damage done to the General. But Luke knew, deep down, that after this, General Lee was beyond repair. Their car, their beautiful, orange car was smashed to bits. It would take a miracle to get it running again.

"The car is the least of your worries," Clayton growled.

"You really ain't gettin' the reference, are you?" Luke asked angrily.

"Here I thought you were the smart one. We don't need the money from anyone but the government. Jefferson could care less about you two but while he's in the company of Jesse Duke, he'll have no choice but to do what he's told. And that's to turn himself over to us so we can obtain the reward money for his capture."

"You got everythin' planned out, don't ya?"

"Course I do, it'd be a matter of life and death if I didn't."

--------------------

At first, Jesse couldn't make eye contact with anybody. There was no explaining how sorry Boss Hogg was. It was all his fault to begin with, giving Clayton and Russel the fake money.

"We should go back, make sure they're all right," Daisy suggested.

"Ah, good idea Daisy. We'll call Cooter up on the CB, and see what he can do for the General Lee," Boss Hogg added. He cringed, realizing his perfect rhyme.

"You'll do no such thing, J.D.," Jesse argued. "It's over, Bo and Luke are gone. There ain't no way they coulda survived the ravine. Even if they did, Clayton would shoot 'em to pieces."

Rosco looked down and removed his hat.

"They ain't dead!" Daisy exclaimed "I'd know if they were dead. You said it yourself Rosco, General Lee's part human, he'd never let anythin' happen to 'em!"