Chapter Nine: Food and Dogs

"Fingers crossed?" Cooter asked.

"Check," Enos replied, showing him his crossed fingers.

"Ear Plugs?"

"Yep." Enos held up two pairs of earplugs.

"Fire extinguisher?"

"Right here." Enos held it up.

"Case O' beer?"

Enos held up the last item. "You bet!"

"Now Enos, that's for celebratin' only ya hear?"

Enos nodded enthusiastically. The tassels on his hat flew up and down, making a tapping sound each time they hit the brim.

Cooter reached through the driver's side window of the General Lee and turned the key. The engine roared to life. He waited a few minutes. No popping. The engine was running very smoothly.

"Did we do it?" Enos asked.

Cooter looked under the hood. The engine was clean and free of any signs of fire.

"We did it. Enos...WE DID IT!" Cooter yelled.

He and Enos each whooped collectively.

Enos threw his fist in the air. "The General lives!"

---------------------

Daisy was pretty shaken about what'd happened during her short visit to Hollow Hill. She was so worried about Bo and Luke but also worried for her own safety. Russell hadn't hesitated to shoot at her and she knew he wouldn't miss next time. She decided to never speak to anyone about her visit and to never, under any circumstance, return to Hollow Hill, because she understood now. She understood that if she went back there, the only way she'd be leaving would be in a wooden box.

---------------------

After a few days, Bo and Luke began to notice a few changes in themselves. One, they were becoming very malnourished and getting weaker all the time due to lack of food and water. Two, their injuries were beginning to create large scars, leaving an undying reminder of this place. Three, they were starting to notice some psychological harm that had begun to grow on them. Jesse and Daisy were the first to notice in one of their nightly CB talks.

If they weren't tied up, Bo and Luke would stand on the roof of the barn and watch the sun set over Hazzard. Every once in a while, Russell would have a drunken spell and if they didn't stay far away from him, it'd turn out very badly. A few punches to the face were considered by Russell 'as merciful as it gets'. He and Clayton would disappear from Hollow Hill now and then.

After some time, Luke got the idea to start hunting for food. He explained to Bo that if they could catch some small game, they might be able to eat it.

"First of all, what're we gonna catch it with? Second of all, how're we gonna kill it? Third of all, how we gonna cook it?" Bo asked.

"We'll use raw materials, like sticks and rocks. We can build a small fire when Clayton and Russell are gone and cook it that way." Luke explained.

Bo looked him up and down. "You mind makin' sure your sanity is still intact, cousin?"

"Just hear me out on this one, alright? C'mon, I'll show ya what I mean."

Bo shrugged and followed him out of the barn and to the fence line. Close to the fence, sitting in a tree, was a large, healthy bird. Luke picked up a rock and flung it at the bird's head. The rock hit the bird dead on and it fell out of the tree. The bird landed on the opposite side of the fence.