16: Abuse of the power

There wasn't much to tend to, the flowers have already bloomed into its final form and all they would do now would be giving a scent all over the sector 7. 

There was a part of me that got sad - I won't have an excuse of coming here anymore. Unless..

"Cloud! Let's not keep Barret waiting." said Tifa as she now approached Cloud.

I looked at Tifa automatically, noticing that she was already staring at me. Even though her face was unreadable, her actions weren't. She was feeling uncomfortable and as any girl crushing on someone, she was jealous.

I felt a slight pang of guilt in the back of my mind. She probably saw my intentions wrong, even though all I was trying to do, was to get to know this mysterious boy named Cloud.

"No need!" said Barret as he has just got here.

Everyone now looked at him, wondering why he would come all the way here.

"Ya'll took an eternity to arrive so I had to make a move myself. Let's go!" he said, irritated at everyone being late.

I felt myself smile upon seeing Barret being back at his usual self. My gaze must have made him look my direction. As soon as he registered me, his face lit up with a slight smile, "If it ain't the angelic Yui. Come on, too, if you're free." he said as he turned back to make his way back to Seventh Heaven but Cloud broke the carefreeness. 

"We shouldn't involve her in this." he said with a serious tone which made Barret look back at him, "Now you made me wanna drag her all the way there just to piss you off." he gritted his teeth.

They weren't at the best terms clearly, but there was a hint of worry.

"Barret, I also don't think this is a good idea. The less people know, the better for our plan to carry out." she said, siding with Barret.

"Ya'll think what you two want, I want her there as MY guest then." he said as he looked at me.

He smiled at me. Taking no as my response wouldn't be why I was all the way here in this place and Barret just created a perfect opportunity for me. I couldn't decline this in a million.

"I'll come gladly!" I said with an excitement.

Cloud whipped his head at me, "No! You shouldn't get involved in this." 

I smiled sweetly at him, "What do you know? I might be pretty useful." 

Barret laughed out at the guts I had, "Dang, girl, I'm starting to like you even more and we don't know each other that much!" 

I don't know what it was that made Barret like me so much, but of all people in the bar, he was always the most excited about me. I was happy whilst not feeling like a persistent person thanks to him.

And even with Cloud's and Tifa's disapproval, we made our way to the Seventh Heaven where other people were. 

As soon as I stepped through the door, all eyes went on me.

"Who's this?" asked a stern-looking man with a red bandana on his head.

Barret roughly, yet with a care, pulled me to him proudly, "A new asset to the team! This is Yui." 

They were all now scanning me, snickering at the thought of me being an 'asset' to the team.

"Are you pranking us? No offense, Yui." said the man with the red bandana on his head.

I felt doubted by everyone in this room now, however, there was no wonder. Most of them aren't even aware of what I'm capable of doing. 

"Goddamn, Biggs, do you think I would be pulling some shit jokes on you now?! There ain't no time for that." said Barret.

"She can stop time." said Cloud, breaking the tension.

Everyone grew quiet, but not too long after, people started to laugh except for Barret and Cloud.

Barret looked at Cloud, "You couldn't speak up at first, and now you speak shit." Barret was now even madder than before.

I knew I had to prove it to them, "No, he's right. I can stop time." I said.

But everyone kept laughing and Barret now looked at me bewildered.

"Prove it. No one believes in words that are nothing but air." said Biggs.

I kept looking around, trying to see an object that I could use as an example to prove my ability. I noticed a glass of water on a nearby table, I didn't hesitate taking it.

"Hey! That's my drink–" said boy's squeaky voice, but it got interrupted once I let go of the glass and stopped the time when it was midair. 

Everyone gasped in a surprise. No one spoke a word as they kept on processing except for Cloud who already knew.

"So that's it then." said Cloud, breaking the silence.

"No, it's not." I said with a smile which made everyone look at me once again, "I can manipulate time in general. For example, I know that in 5 seconds a little girl will come through that door, looking for Barret." I said, pointing to a door that opened not too long after I've said it.

A sweet-looking little girl came out with an angelic face. She was so adorable.

"If it ain't my sweetest daddy's girl Marlene! Daddy's having a meeting with his friends, sugar." he said as he picked her up and softened at the sight of her.

"How–" Tifa asked as she looked at me in shock.

I only smiled, not saying a word.

"I'd like to welcome you in Avalanche." said Biggs as he stood up with his hand reached out to me and a sly smile.