47: Ticking hourglass.

"Hey! What's wrong?!" I heard frantic Zack who was shaking me to snap out of it. 

I had yet another intense nosebleed because of those visions. Normally I wouldn't be so taken aback by a vision, but this one was my living nightmare.

My vision contained a reality where Aerith disappears into a thin air with no trace of her thanks to Hojo's experiment. It showed only fragments, not how it goes.

"T-There's no time! If we don't hurry, we'll never see her again!" I said on the edge of tears which threw Zack on the edge as well, "What..." he gave me a handkerchief and rushed off towards the door.

As if the timing was perfect, Tifa collected the key and went back to guys, but before she got to hand it to Barret, Zack quickly snatched it away from her and dashed towards the staircase.

Without answering anyone's questions, I ran after him, but since he used to be a SOLDIER, he was much faster than me so I was no match for him. The others also ran after us while asking multiple questions.

"What's happening?!" asked Barret while catching breath, slowly falling behind.

"Zack, wait!" I shouted after him but he didn't even spare me a glance.

Being on the verge of collapsing, I stopped on the stairs as I held for support. My lungs were burning along with my thighs, I couldn't even catch a proper breath and my head was ringing.

This was worse than any exercise I've done in my life and thinking that Zack casually ran all the way up without stopping, made me even more tired.

I sighed heavily as I felt my legs wobble and be like a jelly.

Meanwhile, Tifa and Barret got ahead of me.

But Cloud put his arm around my waist and put my left arm around his neck to give me a great support as we proceeded together.

"You alright?" he asked gently.

I nodded, "I just.. never exercised in my life this excessively." 

"If it makes you feel any better, 40 floors more." he said with no effort to cheer me up, but I felt myself smile, "Cloud..." I said with annoyance which made him smile.

"Less talking, keep going." he said with amusement.

I sighed again. Even Cloud was slowing down gradually but there was at least 15 floors left. Zack disappeared, and Tifa was already all the way on top.

"Wait up!" Barret shouted at us as we managed to get ahead of him.

"You know... your ability?... I would actually like that now..." said Cloud completely breathless.

"I could actually–"

"No. I was joking." he quickly cut me off, "Seriously, Cloud?.. You still have time for cracking jokes?" I took a deep breath as we kept going.

"You aren't talking as much as always... so I figured I might as well." 

With my free hand I gently punched his chest, "Are you telling me I talk too much?" I pretended being offended, "No! No, I- ...... Look, I'm sorry if this somehow touched you.. I just wanted to lighten the mood–" but I grabbed him by the collar with my free hand and gave him a kiss on his lips.

When I separated from him, he was completely speechless, "Now you are finally quiet." I giggled as I started heading up by myself, but Cloud grabbed my hand and forcefully pulled me to his embrace while also kissing me. His kiss, however, got quite passionate which left me breathless until–

"Oh Jesus fucking Christ. The planet is screaming, it's begging for help, but you two are here, kissing!" Barret called us out which made me pull away from Cloud shyly.

"Barret, you're taking so long to even climb up towards us. We were being considerate of your speed." said Cloud with an evident annoyance plastered on him.

Cloud was still holding my hand while I was just blushing and looking away from Barret. I felt so embarrassed.

"What!? Get your ass here and let me remind you who the hell you are talking to!" Barret was getting angry, "See you up there then." Cloud just shrugged him off as we proceeded upstairs.

All the way up I felt my face being hot. This was so embarrassing, and I couldn't bear to face Barret now without feeling awkward about this.

Cloud noticed that I was quiet so he glanced at me to catch a glimpse of me, but once he took a notice of me blushing, he broke out into a sincere smile of accomplishment.

"What are you grinning about?" 

"If I had known you would react like this, I would have done that sooner." he kept looking ahead.

I felt myself gasp in surprise, "I can't believe you got this cheeky with me just now."

Thanks to Cloud, we managed to get to the top quite quickly. Everyone was trying to catch a breath, but I didn't waste time as I proceeded to the door of exit.

"Wait, don't go alone!" Tifa called out to me.

This was the first time she spoke to me, "It's fine. There's no one out there." I smiled as I closed the door behind me.

I quickly observed the surroundings just in case and then got into my visions to see where Zack was. He was currently fighting with Shinra troops where Aerith was. I quickly mapped it out in my mind where she was located but I was suddenly interrupted by a voice inside my head that once again belonged to me, yet I didn't voice it.

Only you can sense the different existence in this world since you were the one who brought him to this world.  

It was true that I felt Zack's presence and saw a flow of his lifestream that was showing where he was heading. But.. How come I'm getting to know now? I wasn't paying attention to it earlier.

No matter the case, while others are resting, I should lead them straight there.

As I was about to take a step ahead, I felt my fingers intertwining with Cloud's, "Slow down." he said with a gentle voice, "I– ......" 

"I know you're worried. But Zack is a big boy. He can take care of himself." he said.

"I know. But no matter how many times I will feel reassured by your words, on the inside I will still worry." I smiled sadly.

Barret snuck behind us as he grunted in annoyance, "The planet, people. The planet!" 

"Yui, lead the way." said Tifa as she was now standing awfully close next to Cloud.

I nodded my head as we proceeded to where Aerith and now Zack were.