Being Politically Correct {which becomes a rant on holidays}

Thank you so much for 5k reads! Oh, and also want to say a huge thank you for all the support this little rant book has been getting lately :) I'm doing my best to reply to all of your comments, so keep them coming!

Let's make one thing clear: my goal is never to offend anyone.

Even when I write these rants and I talk about everything I hate and how everyone annoys me, I am never purposely trying to get someone to think 'wow, she wrote that about me! Emmalynn hates everything I do and thinks I should go jump off a bridge!'

I would never think that about anyone. Nobody! Not even my worst enemy. Although, I don't have a worst enemy. At least... no one's coming to mind right now. But that's not the point! The point is, I don't hate anyone. And trust me, there have been plenty of times in my life where I've hated someone in the moment (which is bad, because love your neighbour and all that but c'mon, we're all human, it happens to the best of us, I'm not going to pretend I'm perfect... etc.) So yeah, I'll be honest. Sometimes people really annoy me and I hate them in the moment; it's more that I hate what they've done or said rather than hating them as a person, you feel?

Okay that was a lot longer than it needed to be. My point that I'm trying to make is that even though I get annoyed a lot, I don't hate anyone. And I think the same can be said for a lot of people. There are very, very few people who are actually hateful. At least, I like to believe that there is a lot more love in the world than hate.

So something that always annoys me is this 'political correctness' that occurs in our society. Don't get me wrong, I definitely believe that everyone should be respected, but sometimes by respecting others we end up disrespecting ourselves.

Okay, so I'll give you an example. I'm Catholic and I celebrate Christmas. However, around Christmas time, I am told by 'society' that I should wish everyone Happy Holidays instead of Merry Christmas because Heaven forbid I offend someone by wishing they have an enjoyable something-they-don't-celebrate.

When I hear about stories that occur at people's workplaces where they can no longer have Christmas parties because of this whole thing, I just wonder who's gaining anything from all of this. Eventually, we won't even be able to have a generic 'All-Holiday Party' because some people don't celebrate anything at all and we can't offend them! So we just won't celebrate at all.

Honestly, I think people need to step back and relax. I think about this way: if someone walked up to me and wished me a Happy Kwanzaa, even though I don't celebrate it, am I going to get all offended and insulted? No, of course not! So why are we making a huge deal over this?

Why can't I celebrate my own holiday without people telling me to remember everybody else's holidays? Can I please just feel free to celebrate my own beliefs without other people making me seem like a bully and a mean person for 'excluding' other people? Because I honestly am not trying to do that. I respect everyone's beliefs, but I would appreciate some respect in return.

It isn't just Christmas. At my dad's work, they used to have this big Halloween party. Last year, they were told they couldn't have it anymore because certain people didn't believe in Halloween. So they have to call it a 'Fall Fair' and it can happen on any day EXCEPT for October 31st and people aren't allowed to dress up. Seriously, this has gone too far.

Ugh, I feel like this rant has got sooo off topic. I was supposed to be talking about Political Correctness in general and instead I just talked about holidays.

Whatever.

xoxo Emmalynn