He Loves Me He Loves Me Not

They're called crushes for a reason people... someone always ends up getting crushed in the end.

You know, I was debating on whether or not I should do this rant. There aren't too many rants left. I believe this is number 93?? Somewhere around there. And this rant book is going to end at 100 rants, I think you know that. I wasn't sure if I wanted to use a chapter to talk about this, but what's a rant book without the disastrous thing we call love?

Okay, can we start with this whole 'love at first sight' thing? Of course we can, I make the rules around here. So here's the thing: there's a difference between lust and love.

If you see someone and instantly 'fall in love', that's not love, that's lust.

You can't fall in love with a person just by looking at them because all you are doing is falling in love with their looks, which is equally impossible. Love is an emotion that isn't formed from simply one attribute of a person, but their entirety. You don't love a person for their looks, you love them for their personality, opinions, hobbies, pastimes, etc. You love them for who they are as a person.

Can you figure all that out just by looking at them or from a 5 second conversation? Of course not.

Take Romeo and Juliet. The classic says-60-words-to-each-other-and-then-start-making-wedding-plans couple. We all know how that ended for them.

Now, I'm not saying that if you feel an instant attraction to someone you are both going to end up commiting suicide due to a massive (and fatal) misunderstanding/miscommunication, but you get my point. Even in plays love at first sight doesn't always have a happy ending.

So that instant attraction is not love. It might develop into love as you get to know the person, but you do not instantly fall in love.

Glad we got that over with. Then there's crushes. Aw, those cute little butterflies that swarm your stomach when you are near each other and the blush that graces your cheeks when s/he talks to you. Straight out of a rom-com right?

More like straight out of a horror movie!

Okay I'm joking but most crushes involve the blushing and butterflies along with a ton of embarrassment, awkwardness and dramaaaa. And by the end of it half your grade has figured out who you like and it feels like everyone knows EXCEPT the person that you like. And then comes the debate: do you share your feelings and risk being turned down, or live your life not knowing?

Oh, and all you girls out there: this isn't 1923 anymore, people. This is the flippin 21st century... it's totally okay to make the first move. In fact, you would be surprised how appreciative your crush will be. Think about it: however nervous and awkward you feel, your crush probably feels the same. So why wait for them? You can do it.

At the end of the day, this isn't a movie. So don't expect it to be one. Don't get your hopes up and then nothing can disappoint you.

Alright, I am going to take a nap before I have to babysit. Good night to myself.

xoxo Emmalynn