Respect

Respect is something I take very seriously. From a young age I was always taught to respect my elders and for a while I always did. Without hesitation, without questioning, I always held great respect for not just people who were older than me, but everyone I met.

But over time I began to realize something: my respect is not something that should just be given away, it is something that needs to be earned. And just as it is something that is built up over time, it can also fall apart over time.

To earn my respect, it's very simple. There are three basic principles: self-confidence, don't be afraid to admit your mistakes, and people who demonstrate leadership qualities.

Obviously you don't have to have those three things to have my respect, but it helps.

I respect people who are confident in themselves because it's such a hard thing nowadays. The media and society have beaten down everyone's confidence to a point where it's a rarity to find people who are fully confident in themselves. As for me, I would say I'm probably about 85% of the way there. Of course there are things I wish I could change about myself, but I love my body and I have accepted that this is what I have to work with and why waste time beating yourself up when you could be loving yourself? This will probably be a future rant because I have a lot more to say.

Admitting mistakes. Oh, one of the hardest things to do. Nobody likes admitting they were wrong, but we all have to do it at some point. I look up to people who aren't afraid to admit that they made a mistake. On the flip side, people who can't own up to their shortcomings instantly lose my respect.

And then there's leadership qualities. For obvious reasons, I respect leaders. Because they are leaders. And it can be very difficult to control large groups of people so people who can handle people are very respectable in my opinion.

There are a lot of people I look up to and respect, but there are also a few people who have lost my respect, for various reasons. It's pretty easy to earn my respect; I hold a lot of respect for my friends, family, teachers, etc. However, there are also quite a few ways you can lose my respect.

One of my absolute biggest pet peeves is when people don't respect me but expect me to respect them because they are older. I'm sorry, I don't care how old you are, but if you are going to turn your back on me while I'm speaking to you and walk away you are going to lose my respect. I would never do that to you and I would appreciate the same courtesy in return.

If you are going to cut me off while I'm speaking and not give me a chance to explain myself just because 'you are the teacher' then why on earth should I respect you? I get that you are the all-hailing master of the earth because you went to teacher's college and I might as well be a filthy peasant instead of a student but you can still show me a little respect.

I am a person. I have the same rights as everyone else. I'm willing to respect you, I just ask for a little respect in return.

I am sick and tired of being looked down upon because I don't share the same opinions as everyone else and I'm not afraid to express my opinions.

Sorry I'm not a mindless robot like everybody else? Sorry I'm not afraid to stand up for myself and others? Sorry I want to participate in discussions and express my viewpoint?

God forbid I contradict the teacher! Goodness gracious, since when am I allowed to have an opinion? Oh God bless, I am just a student. I don't deserve respect. I don't deserve to be treated like an actual human being. Oh, defintely not! I must listen to everything I am told because what do I know? I'm just a kid.

I am so sorry.

NOT

xoxo Emmalynn