Love #8: Babysitting and Kids in general

I love kids. I've been babysitting for over four years; since I was eleven, both for my own siblings and people around my neighbourhood. I have two beautiful younger sisters, but I consider all of the kids I babysit for my adopted siblings. So in that case I probably have closer to 20 siblings.

I think the reason I wanted to start babysitting was because I am the oldest in my family, but when I was younger I always wished I had an older sibling. Don't get me wrong, I love being the oldest and I take the job very seriously, but I always wanted to have a role model to look up to. So when I babysit I always feel like I am being that older {maybe not role model but whatever} sibling in these kids' lives. If that makes any sense.

But I love kids because they will always tell you how it is. They don't hold back. Most are innocent to the horrors of the world and can always point out the bright side of things. And they are so smart. One of the little boys I babysit beat me in chess like ten times in a row. They have this unique way of seeing situations that most people don't have.

Also, the simplest things keep them occupied. Once I played Wax Museum outside with two of the little boys I babysit and we just played that for over two hours. Kids don't need anything fancy, most are satisified just by spending time with you. You don't need to have the latest iphone or a million dollars, you just need to spend time with them and tell them you love them. It's the simple things that count.

When I babysit, it seems to make my troubles and issues less significant. I look at these kids who are 1, 5, 10, 12... whatever age, and I just see their determination and creative thinking and I mean... they are the future of our world. Well, I guess we are the future. I'm not that old yet. But they are just so convinced that they will accomplish their goals. I remember the days when my career plans were to become a Disney princess. I'm pretty sure I planned on being married right now. Oh well, there's always next year.

Actually, though, kids are just so inspiring. Many have to deal with so much at a young age, and their resilience is something we can all admire. That's why I want to work with kids in my future career, to help those who's lives have not been as fortunate as some of the children I babysit. Because no child should ever have their sparkle dulled. They deserve so much better than that.

When I'm older, I want three kids. Maybe four. I don't know, but I'm going to adopt a girl from China for sure. I made that decision as soon as I heard about China's one child policy and how many kids, especially young girls who would have been unable to carry on the family name, were left abandoned. I know the policy has been changed now, but it's still something I want to do.

Point of this love: take some time out of your day to listen to children, and you'll be surprised what you can learn. They teach me something everyday.

xoxo Emmalynn