6.08

Camille had her wand now and she wasn't exactly under house arrest. She'd hand over her own damned life to bring Draco back. 

     In a cloud of shadows, Camille apparated, clutching the lifeless body of her lover. She landed before a large, black glossed door, a silver doorknocker bearing an embossed 'M', two amphithere's facing inward on either side.

     She pounded on the door thrice before using the knocker. She fell back to cradle Draco in her arms and when the door swung open, she looked up through bleary eyes and pleaded, "Help me."

     Between Narcissa and Camille, the two carried Draco into the manor, laying him on the velvet green loveseat. Narcissa looked to Camille with such fear in her eyes.

     "My boy," She gasped, running a hand over his cold forehead. "It was all for nothing. What happened?"

     Camille shook her head a little, defeated by everything the world had thrown at her. "He stepped through the Vanishing Cabinet when it wasn't finished. The crossover..." –she paused for a moment, a sob escaping her mouth— "He was trying to get to me. This is all my fault."

     Narcissa sniffled. "This is all our fault. We cannot escape the Dark Lord's hold on us and now Draco has become the price."

     Camille clenched her jaw.

     "I've been so alone." Narcissa continued, tears dripping down onto her son, even more pale than he had originally been. "With Lucius incarcerated and Draco at school..." –she swallowed a whimper— "Everything I have done...everything I have ever wanted has been all for him."

     "There is one possibility," Camille began, "to bring him back."

     Narcissa groaned a little, shaking her head. "Necromancy does not work. It's dark magic that turns its back on you. I'm not having my son turned into an Inferi. There's nothing you can do."

     "Actually, there is. You underestimate me, Narcissa Malfoy. Only I can bring your son back." Camille hid away any ounce of fear that she'd fail. All of Grindelwald's tests had been calculated moves. He had told her once that the success of being Death's master lies in what lies within her. The route of all magic and power is emotion and Draco was her very heart.

     Camille cloaked Draco in a bubble of purple magic, Narcissa stepping back. She thought of everything. Of the pain. Of their fights...their silly little fights. She remembered the time he would help her in Transfiguration homework because she absolutely sucked at that class. She remembered the time he'd fallen asleep on the couches of the Common Room, book in hand with unfinished work so she'd finished it for him. She remembered their dance after the Yule Ball. She remembered them playing Quidditch together. She remembered the very first day they'd met.

     She thought of how much she loved him. Her heart...she'd carve it out and hand it to him if she could.

      Draco's finger twitched and Camille almost let her mind slip from control. No, she fought harder for him. From the depths of her body she heaved out every ounce of life within her...the light of her soul and the darkness of her mind...then Camille gave a small pocket of her life's aura and tied it with Draco's dimmed soul.

     Air filled Draco's lungs and coloured returns to his cheeks. She felt him now, alive and breathing...she felt his heart beating again. He was to wake soon.

     Narcissa had thrown her arms over him, weeping as she listened to the way his heart beat. She peered up to Camille, "You have saved my own life as well as his, my child."

     "I must go now, Narcissa." Camille's voice chimed deeply, "Let him rest here for a time. I'll fix that Cabinet for him back in Hogwarts, I'll save him that impossibly heavy weight."

     "He'll want to see you when he wakes." Narcissa furrowed her brow. "I want you to stay...at least for dinner."

     Camille placed a hand on Narcissa's hand. "I'll come back for dinner. There is something I must attend to first."

     "So, tell me what happened again?" Regulus asked as they wandered through the dark graveyard of wizards and witches. "You couldn't revive Bellatrix' husband but you could revive your lover?"

     Camille huffed a little. "I figured it out. I must tie a fragment of my own life's light to the deceased in order to raise them properly. Me...as Death."

     Regulus tapped his foot against a headstone. "I don't know, sounds to me as if Grindelwald has you becoming the next Voldemort."

     Camille flicked her eyes, stopping before a stone crypt.

     Regulus grabbed her arm, "Think about it, Cami. Tom Riddle split his soul into fragments to make himself immortal...how did he do that? Through death...of others. You are not so far from it. You're splitting your life aura into fragments to make others alive...through death...death themselves."

     Camille furrowed her brow, looking up to the Latin words marked upon the crypt. She knew what it said. 'Here lies the army of the dead.'

     "There must be some line that we don't cross, some line that will stop you from becoming yet another powerful dark wizard or...dead." Regulus forced her to look at him, his deep brown eyes not being that of its usual sensual allure but of...concern. "Even death dies, Camille. You'll end up stuck in the oblivion forever...a ghost. An eternal loneliness."

     Camille's eyes threatened to tear up. "I don't see a way out, Reg. I don't see a light at the end of the tunnel."

     "Oh, Camille." Regulus said, "Your light has only just woken up."