4.05

The large masses of students, each forming their own groups around the foreign students who had come for the Triwizard Tournament, scattered themselves to the benches when Dumbledore called for order.

     "No for the moment you've all been waiting for..." Dumbledore began to announce, his voice echoing throughout the Great Hall. "The champion selection."      

     Pansy leaned into Camille's chest as Dumbledore dimmed the flame-torches surrounding the room. They were all sitting on raised level benches and Pansy had taken the seat right in front of Camille to lean her back in between the girl's thighs. Pansy angled her head as Camille leaned down to Pansy, her mouth close to the Camille's ear as she whispered. "Have you noticed Tracey and Daphne, lately?"

       Camille didn't move her head but strategically flicked her eyes toward their two friends. They were so caught up in some kind of tension or disagreement that they sat no where near Pansy and Camille. They hadn't meant to sit apart from them, its just they got lost in crowd talking when Dumbledore ordered everyone to take the nearest seat. Indeed, something had changed between them. There was a weird tension. Daphne sat up straight like a statue, her eyes on the side of Tracey's head. Tracey, on the other hand, was looking down at her fingers which were fumbling around each other as if she was nervous.

       The room gleamed with the glow of the blue flames emitting from the Tri-wizard cup, the students eagerly watching on...waiting. Camille tried to find Cedric on the benches. She'd encouraged him to enter believing he was the best representative Hogwarts had. She believed in him. She hoped her faith was enough.

     As the flame warmed a deep red, a bit of burnt parchment flew out and Dumbledore caught it.  "The Durmstrang champion is...Victor Krum!"

       Students cheered as the famous Bulgarian Quidditch player stood up and swaggered over toward the cup. Pansy scoffed a little. Camille knew that expression. She knew Pansy's mind. Everybody could've predicted Victor being chosen for Durmstrang.

     The blue flame waved in the slight ghostly wind of the Great Hall and Camille felt a tug on her hair. She turned around discreetly, finding the familiar smirk of Draco Malfoy. She hadn't known him to sit right behind her. Yet there he was, playing with her hair; half tauntingly, half soothingly. She gave him a small smile before smoothing her hair back over her shoulder's, her fingers running over the silk black ribbon she had tied within the half-up join.

      Upon the reddening flame of the second name, a blue parchment in the shape of a small, elegant fan popped out. Beauxbaton's. The Great Hall erupted in yet another cheer of hoots and whistles as Fleur Delacour was chosen.

       Now was the time the majority of students were waiting for. The Hogwarts champion. Camille's eyes were hot on the glowing red as the scrappy bit of paper flew into Dumbledore's hand and he squinted at the name...or the handwriting.

     "Cedric Diggory!"

      The cheers were loud. Camille jumped up to clap with the rest. Even Pansy who had been lounging half-asleep was now full of energy and excitement, cheering on her best friends brother. She watched her brother, proud and happy walk towards the cup and when his eyes found his little sisters, they gleamed with the twinkle of the blue flame beside him.

      He could win this. She thought. 

      He is a Diggory.

      He is the son of Eden Parker.

      As the cheers died down, the cup seemed to churn again. Everyone turned to it, confusion wearing its strength on everyone's faces.

      It seemed to spit out yet another name.

       "Harry Potter?" Dumbledore began. Then not so lightly after all, he began to shout. "Harry Potter?"

        There were whispers. Foul whispers. Confused whispers. Interjections.

        But Harry Potter was chosen. He was always chosen.

       "The lying cheat!" Pansy muttered and Camille ran her hands over her friend's shoulders in shock.

        "How can there be two champions from one school?" Camille whispered back.

        "More so, how did he get past the age line." Pansy half turned.

        As the...now four...champions headed to Dumbledore's office, the remainder of students were directed to head straight back to their dormitories. Camille stood up quickly with Pansy and headed straight toward Daphne and Tracey who had gone seperate directions.

      Pansy put a hand on her shoulder. "Where's your ribbon?"

     Camille ran a hand through her hair. It was gone. Her hair was now only held by a Muggle's hairband. She tried to look back toward the benches but students were shoving and pushing.

      Draco, she thought. 

      Draco must've taken it.

      "It doesn't matter," Pansy spoke again, "I'll give you mine. I never use it."

      When the girl's returned to the dormitories they found that Milicent Bulstrode had managed to get a room with other Slytherin girls and now it truly was just the four. Daphne was folding clothes in a quick fluster and Tracey was counting the amount of sea creatures under the Black Lake.

       Pansy and Camille looked to one another.

       "What's going on with you two?" Pansy dared to ask, flopping onto her bed.

        Daphne didn't stop folding. She didn't even look up. 

       Tracey, however, turned around. "Hm? Oh nothing."

        Camille sat on the edge of her bed. 

       Pansy smirked.

       There was definitely something that must've happened over the break and Camille knew enough of Pansy that it wouldn't take her long to find out exactly what the tension was about. Camille and Pansy sure did have their theories. They only hoped they were true. They only hoped happiness would be the final answer.

      Perhaps Camille hoped that for herself to.

      She wanted to find pure happiness this year. Perhaps, with Cedric in the Tournament, they would.

      Perhaps Camille would soon be very happy.

--||--