Prologue

Camille Diggory had stepped out of the Darkness of her own making and found herself in the courtyard before Marvolo's Asylum. 

     Grindelwald was there, the immortal Seer, standing before her with a smug grin on his lips. Beside him, stood Tom Riddle. He was not as she knew Lord Voldemort to appear, not the same bald, grey-skinned man that was in the Ministry of Magic. No, this version of Tom...she'd seen this one before. 

     Twice, now. 

      Once in the memory of Tom Riddle's diary, down in the depths of the Chamber of Secrets.

     He'd claimed he known her already, but did he know future versions of herself? 

     The second time was in a dream. She had been falling and awoke with Tom Riddle's ring. She never took it off, even now, she looked at her finger where the black diamond rested.

     "It's time, my child." Grindelwald spoke and waved his wand in his hand. Chords of blue light wrapped around her wrists, chaining her down to the courtyard. Only, they were no longer standing in a courtyard. They stood in a dungeon, one as sealed as Azkaban but there was no roar of the ocean, no maddened pleas of prisoners. It was utter silence, a darkness like no other.

     "Where am I?" Camille began to become frantic. "What are you doing to me?"

     The blue coils around her wrists dissipated. Tom looked to Grindelwald before answering. "You are deep in the chambers of my asylum."

     "You will learn how to become the Master of Death. Playtime is over now." Grindelwald continued to explain.

     "Please, don't lock me away. I did everything you have asked!" Camille began to sob.

     Grindelwald crouched before her, brushing a strand of hair away from her face. "Shh...Shh..sweet child, there is no need to cry. You will become the greatest wizard who ever lived."

     There was a clang in the corner and Camille found herself staring at another girl standing flat against the wall, shadows dancing around her. She was staring at the wall, her back facing Camille.

     As if the girl knew she was staring, she slowly turned around. Camille went to scream, to run, to fight. She was met with...herself. Only this girl had no warmth, her eyes...they were navy, almost black. She tilted her head a little.

     "You will stay here and be tested." Grindelwald spoke walking over to the single door that magically appeared in the cold stone. Tom Riddle followed him and snapped his fingers with alerted Camille's clone to fall in step beside them. "Meet the new Camille Diggory, she will take your place in Hogwarts and no one will notice that the real you is missing. No one will know."

     Tom Riddle and her clone left, then Grindelwald at last stood right on the threshold giving her one last look. Camille stood to run at him but the man disappeared, along with the door.

     No. No. No. No. No.

     She was trapped! Draco...he'd never forgive her and with that cold clone...he'd hate the girl that took her place or worst yet, he'd fall in love with her. Her echo...and she'd die alone, forgotten.

     "Let me out!" Camille screamed and screamed. "Regulus! Help me!"

     But Grindelwald...her true father...was right. No one will notice her missing. No one was coming for her. She slid down the wall and brought her knees to her chest, every movement a mere thundering echo of her cell...her grave. She deserved this punishment. She deserved this for hurting Draco Malfoy. She was too hard to love. She had too much darkness in her and he had too much light.

     Camille sobbed to herself.