3.09

Edited: 17/11/2021

Edited: 17/11/2021

Following a successful win in Camille's Quidditch match against Ravenclaw, Brooklyn and the curious young girl sat upon their usual spot in the astronomy tower. Brooklyn flipped through the pages of the Necromancy book, casually glancing up at the staircase whenever he heard a slight creak or anything...in fear they'd be caught.

     Brooklyn hummed at first before reading out a line from the page he stumbled on. "Apparently the Ancient Greeks had a temple dedicated to necromancy."

     Camille chimed a similar hum in response, continuing her charms homework that was due that same day. She waited for him to find spells, jinxes anything of the sort. 

     "Body hopping..." Brooklyn randomly skimmed the lines and Camille looked up.

     "What?"

     Brooklyn took a breath, finally looking at her. "It says that necromancers can possess body's with dead spirits."

      Camille processed the words, stewing on her thoughts. Brooklyn watched her. He knew she was thinking something so he stared at her until she cracked her thoughts. "You think I can bring my mother back?"

     "Ah...I don't know. It wouldn't be your mother's body but spirit." Brooklyn began and when he saw the hope in Camille's eyes he continued. "I think it would be a bad idea, there's a reason this stuff is hidden from us. It's extremely dark magic."

     Brooklyn shut the book, placing it in his lap. He leaned his head on the wall behind him but Camille snatched the book from him. She flicked through the pages herself. She had to know more. Brooklyn lazily opened an eye, watching every action of hers. Camille read the same page he'd read out, once...twice. 

     She gazed up at Brooklyn who merely smiled a comforting expression and she offered a mirroring smile, closing the book herself. The Ravenclaw boy stood up, a hand extended toward Camille to help her up too. The day was flying through, dusk approaching. As they walked down the tower they stopped in front of the Ravenclaw Common Room. 

     "I know how curious you can get..." Brooklyn began, turning to face Camille. "I advise you don't try anything...alone." Camille quickly raised her eyebrows in a flash. She handed the book back to Brooklyn for safe-keeping knowing he was better at hiding objects than she was and when she didn't respond to his words the boy continued. "At the very least, if you are going to try something, please come and find me. Find me and we'll do it together. Together or not at all."

     Camille nodded before the pair hugged, saying their farewells for now until dinner time. The halls were filled with students as usual, the freedom of the weekend. Dinner time came and went; Camille being exceptionally quiet during the meal to which Pansy noticed, although she was planning to wait until they returned to their dorms to ask her.

     "Talk to me," Pansy whispered to Camille once they were in their dorm rooms.

     Camille took a breath. It was just them in the room and she trusted Pansy more than most. "It's the anniversary of my mother's death today."

     Pansy looked pained, pulling the girl into a tight hug. "Oh, Cami. I'm so sorry."

     They pulled apart and Camille gave the girl a slight smile. "Thank you. I think I need some fresh air, I hope you understand..."

     Pansy nodded, rubbing her hand over the girl's upper arm. "I understand! Take the evening off. No homework. No one to talk to you about meaningless crap."

      Camille smiled at the girl before leaning in to kiss her friend on the cheek. Pansy smirked at first but remembered to not make this about anything other than an expression of comfort. Camille left the dorm room, three familiar boys watching her moves. She walked down the cold, lonely corridor of the basement, arms wrapped around her body. She wasn't sure where she'd go. They weren't really supposed to be out after dinner but here she was, not caring if she was found by a prefect, not caring if Peeves tattled on her. 

     Draco couldn't help himself. He had to see where Camille was going. If Pansy or any of the other girls had gone with her, he wouldn't have followed, but watching the girl leave alone without a smile on her face made him feel the need to check on her.

     He hid behind the corner, glancing over as he spotted her in the arms of her brother. He watched as Cedric pulled away, kissing his sister's forehead before they parted. Camille slid her back against the wall, sliding down to sit with her head resting against her bent knees.

     "Milly?" Draco asked softly, squatting before the girl.

     She looked up at him with red, damp eyes and Draco was in shock. He'd never seen her like this. He placed his hands on her hands, balancing himself. 

     "What happened?"

     Camille shook her head. "Nothing."

     "Then why are you crying?"

     Camille took a breath before staring into his eyes. "Today is the day my mother died, ten years ago."

      Draco's lips parted, almost mirroring the same shock as Pansy a few minutes beforehand. He moved his hands to her cheeks, both thumbs rubbing the tears from her eyes. "Milly..." He breathed. 

      "You're lucky, you know." Camille continued with such sweetness.

      Draco cocked his head a little.

     "You have not only both parents but good parents. Parents you can talk to. Parents who listen to you. Parents who care about you."

      "Your father loves you, Milly." Draco tried to say in comfort. He knew it was the wrong thing to say. He knew it was a lie. He saw the way Amos favoured Cedric over her.

      Camille laughed disbelievingly. 

      "I care about you." Draco said at last.

      She looked up at him again, eyes wide. 

     Draco's eyes never left hers. His heart was beating too hard for him to think. He was scared. Scared by her reaction. Scared he'd just blown his chance. Scared she'd mock him. Scared...

      Camille leaned forward, Draco's hands still clutching her cheeks. 

      Their faces were close now, she could feel the heat of his breath against the damp trails of tears that stained her face.

      Finally, Draco found his courage and he kissed her...

      ...and she kissed him back.

----||----

Finally got that chapter up! Thankyou for being patient. These weeks are going so fast and these assignments are getting harder and bigger. Hopefully you enjoyed this chapter.

Vote and comment on your favourite parts!

Until next chapter..