5.03

Camille stood before the thestrals, one hand gliding over the front of its head. A hand wrapped around her throat, another around her stomach. Lips lingered beside her ear. "Milly."

      She breathed a smile as he kissed her earlobe.

      "Does the air need stroking? I'm getting rather jealous." He murmured into her ear.

     They were standing before the carriages, the thestral standing tall and ethereal. It shimmered like the navy night sky, freckles of white starlight. It sniffed her, once...twice. It's eye narrowed on her as if he had known her his entire life.

     Camille angled her head in Draco's embrace, whispering to him. "They're thestrals that pull the carriages."

     Draco's smile faded and for a moment he stared at the air, then back to her. She took his hand and held it to the mythical creature, watching him intently as he gasped upon contact. He felt it. He did not see it but he felt it. His eyes found hers again. "Have you always seen them?"

     She nodded.

     The merry hoots of four rose down the dirt road and Camille turned her head, spotting the group of Slytherin boys. There was Crabbe and Goyle, devouring some cupcake; Theodore Nott, age had done him well recently with hair sweeping up and eyebrows thickly framing his charming green eyes. He was talking to Blaise who had grown taller still, going through a rather lanky stage.

     "Come on," Draco tapped the small of her back, guiding her toward the carriage. He hopped up first before leaning down to lift her up on it. She sat in his lap, arms around his neck as he held her, watching as the four boys called to them, smirks and smiles well worn.

     "Cami!" Pansy gasped, running toward her. She leapt onto the carriage and pulled the girl into a tight hug. "I'm so sorry, I wish I could've been there for you." –she pulled away from her, hands cupping the girls face— "but when I visited your home. No one was there...ever."

     That was news to her. She had no idea what her father had been doing as of late. She couldn't imagine him selling up the house or abandoning it, not with Cedric's body in the backyard. He would not part with him.

     "I stayed with other family," Camille sweetly whispered back. She didn't want her friends to fuss over her. As far as she was concerned, she was fine. So, she said, "I'm fine, really. I'm ok, now."

     But Pansy gave Draco a knowing look. She was not ok.

     Camille did not remember much of the journey apart from Tracey flirting wildly with Theodore, Pansy gossiping with Blaise, Crabbe and Goyle laughing over some second years. She turned her head to Draco, "Where's Daphne?"

     He raised his eyebrows. "With the mudblood."

      Camille nodded. She hadn't been in contact with any of her friends since Cedric had died and clearly, she'd missed out on a lot of what had been happening. She'd seen Hermione at the Black's house, never once she thought to ask her how she was...she barely spoke to her...to anyone.

      Tension arose between the girls. Daphne and Tracey refused to talk to one another. It was confusing, Tracey had never once shown an inkling of interest for Daphne and now she was jealous of her with Hermione.

     But Camille had more to worry about.

     Their first day of DADA was a total bust. Their new professor was named Umbridge, a pink phantom with a sickly sweet laugh and blue apparitions of cats wandering around the classroom. What made it worse was the use of wands was banned for this class, solely a theoretical environment. It was bullshit. Camille tolerated it...as she tolerated most, until...

      "So according to you, Cedric Diggory dropped dead on his own accord?" Harry snapped.

     Professor Umbridge turned around, "Cedric Diggory's death was a tragic accident."

     "It was murder. Voldemort killed him. You must know that!"

     "Enough!" Umbridge screamed and the classroom plunged into a tense silence.

     Yet, all the eyes that had been on Harry Potter now found Camille who sat still as a statue in the seat behind Harry. Fury was riling in her veins, icy rage like melting silver. Her mind clouded with dark shadows and when she couldn't take it anymore...the comments...the looks of sympathy...the determined look of their Professor...

     Camille disapparated in the middle of the classroom.

--||--

"She disapparated in the classroom, Professor." Professor Umbridge explained to Professor Snape.

     Normally, she'd be in detention with her Head of House but apparently this was a matter much more serious. Accompanying her was Professor McGonagall.

    "Yes, I am aware of that." Snape simply said, his eyes on Camille who hadn't looked at anyone since she walked in the door. "Miss Diggory, do you care to explain yourself?"

     "I don't particularly care to, so no." Camille began but watched as Umbridge began a look of contentment. "She believes my brother simply dropped dead."

     "I said it was a terrible accident." The pink lady popped up with that sickly-sweet voice.

     Camille laughed, manic and darkness lacing her voice. 

     "What is so funny?" Umbridge asked, disgruntled.

     Both, Professor Snape and Professor McGonagall had a look of fear and worry etched into their faces. The crevices of their mind had seen this once before, in a student battling against the constraints of dark and light.

      Camille slowly looked up, her eyes shadowed by the dimness of the room and all her grief retained within until they met the new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher. "The darkness is coming and it will devour you whole."

--

vote and comment on your favourite parts!!!