Chapter 14

Chapter 14

First-day dilemma

It seems like Leo bonded with Staffan when the student meeting started. When the professor asked the students to have some partner to talk or share about something about themselves. They both quickly chose each other and began sharing stories where they grew up and how was life living back into their home town. It was good for Leo to have someone he can share something no one knows and telling it to a stranger, he was also expecting that this person might not like it so he's restricting himself to tell moreover that can complicate the situation.

"So, why do you chose to study here?" Staffan asked.

Leo shrugged, "I guess it's a personal choice and I would really love to experience studying abroad. It was really a struggle for me to be honest. I wouldn't be here if my family and friends didn't help me and support me financially. Actually, I'm about to give up this program because I thought I wouldn't be coming here..."

"And here you are," Staffan said, smiling at me. "You made it and we wouldn't meet if you gave up. It's nice to be here, actually. I've been feeling a little bit homesick but I'm talking to my family and friends back home if I have time so it helps me. And hey, I also have one thing to tell you and I hope it won't make your weird."

"I'm sure I won't, what is it?" Leo asked, creasing his forehead.

"I'm gay," he whispered and Leo widened his eyes upon his shocking revelation. He slowly meets his eyes and Staffan was just smiling at him. The disbelief in his face only tells that he's not expecting to hear it from him. "Don't you believe it?"

"Uh—I..." Leo shakes his head.

"Wait, I'm gonna show you something," Staffan said and took his phone out of his pocket. He went to his gallery and when he found what he was looking for, he showed it to Leo. He stared at the photo on the screen where Staffan was kissing a man. When Leo already had the grasp to see it, Staffan pulled his phone back and put it back in his pocket. "That's my boyfriend, we've been together for two years now..." he muttered unsure, "Yeah, I think two years, my bad." He chuckles.

"So, you're not afraid of people's judgment and the way they look at you?"

Staffan shook his head, "No, and why would be afraid of that?" he answered. "I came out when I was fifteen and there's a lot of confusion about my sexuality at that time. And then I met Ludwig—my boyfriend's name. We started as friends and then I developed feelings for him and when I'm so determined of my sexuality at that time, I came out and I guess it all started there. Of course, I still get painful words from other people but I just shrugged it off. Their hatred wouldn't make me less of a person because I know I was loved by the person I care about so I don't mind them. I don't have a grudge, I'm just happy being me... and you never thought I would be gay, right?"

Leo nodded, "Yeah... it's hard to tell."

"I'm proud of who I am, and I don't wear lady's clothes or any kind of stuff that's why people were also confused about my sexuality. People easily judged what they saw to a person so if they saw you were wearing girls' stuff, you'll be getting a lot of discriminations. Because sometimes, people only wanted to see what they wanted to see with their eyes. Some people can't accept the fact that the world is changing, their judgment was stuck in that mindset."

"You're right, some people are scary sometimes..."

"That's true," Staffan smirked. "What about you? Do you have any relationship who misses you back home?"