Chapter 1

Chapter 1

Exchange Student

Staring at the 20th row, sitting on the window side of the plane, watching the clouds that he thinks he could touch and play. Below them is a new continent, a new country he'll settle to do great things and all the things he wanted to achieve in life. Leaving his home country at the age of nineteen was really hard for him to get by. He did a lot of things to decide, piling options, and choices on top of one another until he chose something that will help him. He put all the cards down and pick up the one thing that matter to him, his dreams and that's the reason why he's flying away from his family.

After setting aside some things to deliver his way to his future, becoming an exchange student will be a whole lot of things to come by. And he thought once he finished his studies, he'll fly back here to get a job for himself. With one thing in his mind, to help his family.

And if being alone will gonna be hard for him, he just needs to trust and believe himself.

"Ladies and gentlemen, we have just been cleared to land at the John F. Kennedy International Airport..." and he couldn't understand what the pilot said next as he couldn't focus, as he could feel like his chest was gonna explode in a second but then he's trying to calm himself down. Because for about a few minutes, he'll land into a new country which he's uncultured about the new country he'll settle for a few months.

Okay, Leo, calm 'yo self. He thought in his head and took a few deep breaths.

Not that long when the airplane landed on the ground, he murmured thank you, Lord, after hearing the captain's announcement of a safe landing. As well as preparing to leave the plane, he grabs the piece of paper on his jacket and read the note he wrote on it. Jacky O'Riley. It was Leonardo's auntie. As he gets into the arrival area and searches for his auntie's face, he saw somewhere a green poster screaming his misspelled name—Lonardo. As he immediately recognizes them, he walks closer to them. He notices that his auntie was with someone else and so she introduced him to her.

"I know you never met her, Leonard, she's Rachel... my daughter, your cousin."

Leonardo handed his hand to her and she gladly accepts it, "nice to finally meet you, 'cuz."

"You too, I was very hopeful about meeting my cousins," Leo confessed.

"Really?" she giggled.

He nodded fast, "yes!"

"Well, I guess, I'm the first cousin on states you have met... and there's more!" she giggles, "but for now, we'll have our dinner—wait, cuz, have you already eaten your dinner yet?"

Leo shakes his head, "not yet."

"Good thing!" his auntie commented, "I know a very good restaurant near here,"

"And so mum, can we go there now? I'm like, starving, really—the monster in my stomach would come out soon."

"Oh, that's not to better happen." Her mom said shaking her head.

"I hope so," Rachel muttered.

As they decided to leave and help Leonard to put his large luggage and backpack on the trunk of their car, they left the airport right away. As they drive headed to that restaurant her auntie's talking about, she also talked about the room where will Leonard stay for the meantime as he will take his semester on NYU.