Settling Down

Even after accepting the consequences of our actions, I still can't get over what happened to the girls. Sure, Its a risk that we all put ourselves through, the risk of permanent physical damage or even death. But that piece of my conscious, that little fucking sliver, keeps gnawing at me, making me feel like absolute shit for not being able to keep them safe from the harm they went through. I know I'm no superhuman like Naruto or Sasuke, but even then, I should be able to see the danger with these eyes that I have since it before it's near.

The chances of Shiori waking up soon are slim; Sakura has told me that she'll be in that coma until the swelling in her brain goes down, and after that, she'll be permanently removed from any shinobi work. I wonder if Chiho has decided that she'll be retiring from life as well. I can't blame her, nor can I be mad if she goes along. We all agreed that it would be our last, even if it weren't as good as I thought it would be.

Chiho now has to think more reasonably. Her girlfriend was inches away from crossing the line of death.

I wish I could hang up the headband like that. I can't, not with these shadow lurkers keeping a close eye on me.

Why are they so obsessed with this mark? What makes them want it so badly? And how is it even possible to remove the thing from my damn forehead? "Hey, Y/n." Called a voice. "She's ready to be seen now." The nurse said, opening up the door for me.

I walked into the room; it was just like every other one in the hospital, Depressing and way too quiet. Chiho sat on a chair near the room window, resting her forehead on the small part that stuck out. A slight breeze blew into the room, moving the curtain that covered up Shiori.

The quick glimpse I got of her was sickening. I couldn't believe I allowed her to get this badly beat up. I should've been faster! I should've stayed with the group, with her and whoever she was separated from.

"They're estimating it'll take around three months before she wakes up." Spoke up Chiho. "They also said..." she fell quiet. "I was told that...that she may never walk again. Properly, that is."

"What do you mean?" I asked, walking up behind her.

Chiho lifted her head, then spun the chair around to face me. Her eyes were puffy when we made eye contact. "They did more exams on her. Her left leg showed no reaction when they pricked her, not even a single twitch." We both glanced over at our friend.

"I'm sorry, Chiho" I placed my hand on her shoulder. "This entire thing is all because of me. My dumbass-"

"Stop it!" She interrupted me. Chiho took my hand off her, then stood up from her chair. "This is not your fault, and it will never be your fault! So stop blaming yourself for shit that was out of your control! You have the tendency to take all the blame when you shouldn't!!!"

"How can I not blame myself when this whole fucking mess happened! Shiori is in this bed because I dragged you two on that damn mission!" I snapped at her.

Chino's eyebrows lowered down and pulled together. "You can start redeeming yourself then by fixing it with me!" She growled. "We're gonna find these fuckers, and put them down for good!"

I couldn't help but scoff at the idea of finding them. These bastards have always found a way to pull us to them, like some fish on a hook. "How are we going to do that?! Care to let me know."

"I have a location on a base." She whispered. "Meet me at my house later tonight, and we can plan this. We can raid these assholes and fuck 'em up real good!"

Not sure how Chiho managed to get info on something like that, and even if it turned out to be a solid base, how would we know it's not some trap set up to get people? Either way, it wouldn't hurt to check out what she got. "I'll be there," I told her.