The Extraction: Catching the Target

"Alright, so has everyone fully understood the plan?" Y/n asks us.

"Can you go over it again?" Chiho says suddenly.

Y/n face palms and sighs sounding disappointed. "Are you serious, or are you just messing with me?" He glares at Chiho

"No, I'm being serious." She stands up from the ground and looks over at Y/n. "It's quite confusing."

"What part is confusing! You just have to grab Shi as fast as you can with your partial expansion jutsu!" He yells at Chiho. "Just remember to grab Shi as fast as you can." He grabs the map from the floor and starts rolling it up. "We leave in a few minutes, so get everything ready."

We all nod and stand up from the ground. I turn around and start to walk away, but get stopped by Y/n. He pulls me to the side behind a tree and we both crouch down.

"Here I wanted to give you this." He pulls out an old worn out scroll from his pouch and sets it in between us. He makes the tiger hand seal and a puff of smoke comes from the scroll. A cube appears and Y/n picks it up, handing it to me.

"What is it?" I grab the cube from his hands and inspect it.

"It's a chakra cannon!" He says in a very excited tone.

"A chakra cannon?! How does it work?!" I start poking at the box and it expands into a long telescope looking thing.

"It takes the users chakra and shoots it. Pretty simple." He says moving the cannon away from his face. "Once this mission is over you can keep it. I have no use for it and I think you can put it to better use."

"Thank you so much!" I jump up and give him a tight hug. He hugs me back shortly after. "But why give it to me?" I say breaking away from the hug.

"I thought it would be a good gift for your upcoming birthday. It's also a way of saying sorry for missing your birthday these past few years." He rubs the back of his head and smiles. His cheeks get a little red causing mine to get red as well.

"I-I can't believe you remembered, but my birthday isn't going to be until next week though." I look up at him into his eyes.

"I know, but I don't know when I'll be able to see you again so I thought this was the perfect time." He starts rolling up the scroll and puts it away. "Make sure you use this wisely though, if your chakra is low it will kill you."

"I'll make sure of that." We stand in a awkward silence for a while until I decided to break it. "How do I make this thing go back to its cube form." I hold up the cannon. He grabs it from my hands and pushes a small white button making it instantly go back into its cube form. He hands it to me and I grab it from his hands, putting it into my knapsack.

"Thank you so much again! I really like it!" I tell him.

"No need to thank me Tenten, that's what best friends are for!" He gives me a thumbs up and has a bright smile on his face.

I feel my face get hot and my heart start racing as I look at his cheerful face. The world seems to slow down as I admire his face. I wish I could tell him my deepest emotions for him right now and kiss him right where he is. I want him to be mine for life and be in his embrace forever. "Y-Y/n I lo-"

"Hey Y/n we should head out right now while we still have daylight." Shiori interrupts me from the top of the tree.

"Sure thing, I'll be up there in a few seconds." He stands up from the ground and helps me up. "What were you saying before you were interrupted?"

"Oh it was nothing. We should catch up with them." I jump up to the tree branch and meet up with the rest of the group leaving Y/n behind. I can't believe I was about to tell him how I felt during a mission. He would've rejected me and tell me he's with one of his teammates, or maybe even both. I'm just his best friend according to him.