Chapter Twenty-Two

“So what happens if I press this button?” Ashton questioned before pressing yet another button on my keyboard, changing the entire picture I was currently working on to an ugly shade of brown.

Groaning loudly, I undid his error and slapped his hand away.  “Stop doing that.  If you mess this up for me I will end you,” I threatened.

When I decided to show them around the office where I worked, I thought it would be a quick tour of my space and the different areas in the building, but the second John found out the boy’s were in the building, it quickly turned into a makeshift meeting.  He insisted I show them every aspect of the studio from top to bottom, including our recording spaces, offering to open them up for the boys any time. 

They then went off into one of our conference rooms to discuss a potential appearance on a tour with Paramore, making Calum almost pass out with excitement.  While I had decided to take their absence as a chance to get some more work done. 

“Jamie, my boy, I want to introduce you to a few people!” I heard John excitedly exclaim from down the hall.  I rolled my eyes as I heard their foot steps get closer to my already full office.

“Jamie, this is Luke, Calum, Michael, and Ashton from 5 Seconds of Summer,” John boomed, pointing out each boy.  “Guys, this is Jamie, Sydney’s partner.  They’re an unstoppable duo.”

I felt Luke stiffen up from beside me as Jamie held his hand out to each of them.  “It’s nice to meet you guys.  Sydney’s talked a bit about you.”  He glanced in my direction, flashing me his signature grin.

“Yeah, it’s nice to meet you mate,” Michael smiled, giving him a small handshake. 

Luke was the last acknowledge Jamie’s presence and looked less than thrilled by him being in the same room as the rest of us.  “So Jamie, what do you do here?” he questioned, sounding slightly annoyed.

Sighing to myself, I rested my hand on his knee, giving it a small squeeze as if to tell him ‘don’t be that guy.’  Unfortunately he ignored my request.

“I uh, well I work with Sydney and we do a lot of the photography and the making of the merchandise,” Jamie nodded happily.  “She’s great at her job, seriously.”

I gave him a warm smile, knowing that he wasn’t just trying to talk me up in front of my friends.  He was always one to tell me just how great I was.  “You’re not so bad yourself.” 

“I can’t believe you let her go,” Jamie chuckled, turning his attention to Ashton.

“Yeah we-“

“We didn’t let her go,” Luke said abruptly cutting off Ashton.

“Oh, I didn’t mean it like a bad thing-“ Jamie stammered, glancing back at Luke.

“Luke,” I warned, squeezing his knee a little harder causing him to look down at me.  The two of us sat there, silently glaring at the other, having our own separate conversation without words. 

Calum looked between the two of us before breaking the now awkward silence.  “We didn’t let her go, we just knew she had more potential at a bigger company, and that company happened to be here.”  He smiled sweetly at Jamie, as if to apologize for Luke’s behavior. 

“And what a good choice that was,” John chuckled, patting Calum on the back.  “Now, let’s talk about recording something here.  When are you all free?”

“Our tour finishes in about a month, and then it’s all about writing and recording for a few months,” Michael said, looking down at the calendar in his phone to make sure he wasn’t giving out false information.

“And you like writing with Alex?” John questioned. 

“Alex is great,” Ashton nodded happily.

“How would you feel about writing with Brenden Urie or Haley Williams too?”

“Are you serious?” Luke said, finally taking his eyes off of me.

“Completely serious,” John grinned.  He had them right where he wanted them, that was obvious. 

“We’re in.”  Luke spoke as the rest of the boys nodded.

“Great.  Just get in touch with me after your tour ends and we’ll start the writing sessions.  Feel free to stop by any time, you guys are our welcomed guests.”  John paused for a moment, looking over at Luke and I.  “But don’t distract my best employee too much alright?  I need her.”

Luke grinned and pulled me onto his lap, placing a kiss on the top of my forehead.  “We’ll be sure not to bother her too much.”

Luke’s P.O.V. 

I can’t believe we just got a recording gig in New York.  Not only is it in New York, it’s where Sydney works.  This is perfect.  I wrapped my arms securely around her waist and rested my chin on her shoulder.

“I get to work with you again,” I whispered into her ear as I felt her skin get goose bumps. 

The rest of the boys had broken off into their own coversations with John and Jamie, leaving Sydney and I to talk quietly to each other.

“No you goof, you get to work in the same building as me,” she giggled, resting her head against my chest.  “I’ll be here working on projects in here while you’ll be in one of the studios above me writing some kickass music.”

“We’ll be in the same building,” I shrugged, placing a kiss on the base of her neck.  “I think it counts.”

“Hmm,” she giggled, as she turned to face me.  “Will you bring me lunch?”

“I don’t know, will you stay late with me?” I grinned, raising my eyebrows at her. 

“Well I mean, if I want to hear these new songs, I’m going to be forced to stop by and listen to them.”

“And if you want your lunch too,” I giggled as she sighed dramatically.

“Then yeah I guess I’m forced to stay late and hang out with you.”

“Don’t make it sound like you’re not looking forward to seeing my beautiful face every day.”

She smirked, grabbing my hands in hers and swaying them back and forth.  “It’s going to be torture.”

“The worst,” I nodded in agreement before planting a kiss on her cheek, then one on her nose and one single kiss on her lips, sending sparks flying through my body like they always did when my lips touched hers.

---------

So much Lydney, so much love.  God I love them.

BUT HEY THIS IS IMPORTANT.  I'm going to be in Vegas until the 7th of January, so there will be a slight pause in critical (it's really just a week, but I thought I'd let you guys know now)  As soon as I'm home I'll be posting again.  Woohoo