Chapter Seven

After what seemed like forever, Elizabeth and I finally found a parking spot a few blocks from a starbucks.  We got out and started our walk down the busy sidewalks.  On the ride over I had caught her up on what had been happening in my life for the past ten months.  She had told me all about her last few months in Australia before finally coming back to the states, which she says is the best thing she could have done.

A few feet from the entrance to starbucks I heard my name being called from behind me. Confused I turned around to see a group of girls approaching me.  Elizabeth looked at me just as confused as I was.

“You’re Sydney Anderson right?” one of the girls asked nervously.

“That’s me,” I nodded slightly.  “I’m not trying to be rude but have we met?”

The group of girls let out a few giggles while shaking their heads no.  “You work with 5 Seconds of Summer right?”  That’s what this was about, I should have known.  I nodded slowly.  “Could you please give them this?” the girl handed me a large box full of letters and some candy. 

I took it without hesitation, “Yeah of course, they’re going to love this, thank you so much.” I said smiling while shuffling towards the entrance.

“Wait Sydney,” one of the girls said while pulling on my jacket.  “Is Luke with that girl?” she asked with hurt in her voice.

“I-I don’t really know to be honest.. I’m sorry, I wish I could give you an answer.” I said looking down at the ground. 

“That’s okay, I just wanted to let you know that I ship you with him, not her.”

“You do what now?” Elizabeth said confused, making all of us laugh.

“It means she wants to see them together, you know? Like a couple.  They have a ship name too, it’s Lydney,” one girl said matter-of-factly.

This made me let out one of the first real laughs I’d had in a long time.  If only they knew.  “Lydney is not a ship you should get on." 

“It’s too late,” the girl said grinning at me, making me smile back.

“Before you go, could we get a picture with you please?” another girl asked hopefully.

“Uhm suuure,” I smiled as the girl handed Elizabeth her camera and they grouped around me.  We took a few pictures, a serious one and a funny one for good measure.  After a few more minutes of mindless talking, we said our goodbyes and went our separate ways.

“I know the guys are famous now, but I didn’t realize you had your own following,” Elizabeth said while smirking at me.

“Shut up,” I giggled and set down the box at a free table before going up to order my drink.  “Most of them just use me as a messenger for the boys.” 

“Still, people know you Syd, that’s so cool.” She said clapping her hands before ordering her coffee. 

We sat down at the table and sipped our drinks while discussing every aspect of life possible.  I never realized just how much I missed her until I was with her again.  We were so close, it’s weird how you lose touch with someone but can pick up right where you left off as if no time had passed.

We had finally come to the topic of boys and I had brought up my dilemma with Luke.  “So are you jealous?” she asked curiously.  “I mean I could see why you would be. You’ve been flirting with him from the second you met him three years ago.  I can’t even imagine how much that’s intensified over the years.”  She paused for a moment and looked at me, her eyes getting bigger.  “Have you guys hooked up?”