Chapter Nineteen

(Luke’s POV) 

Tonight could not have gone any better.  Sydney and I spent another half hour on the rooftop before we both decided it was getting too cold to stay out there anymore.  We walked hand in hand back to the dressing room to meet up with the boys who were extremely excited to see the two of us reappear.

“Well look who decided to join us,” Ashton grinned from the couch as we stepped through the door.

I could feel all three sets of eyes looking at our intertwined hands, making me squeeze Sydney’s hand a bit tighter, pulling her into my side. 

“So, what happened on that rooftop?” Calum said, tearing his eyes away from our hands to give us both a quick confused glance.

“We talked marriage and decided not to have the wedding in Vegas,” I smirked as I felt Sydney elbow me in the side, dropping my hand.

“It’s too dry in Vegas anyways,” Michael nods, letting out a small laugh.

“Are you two-“ Ashton stopped himself as he pointed between Sydney and I. 

I bit my lip, running my tongue across my lip ring, a nervous habit I had picked up after getting it done.  “We’re uh-“ I paused to look down at Sydney.  What were we?  I mean obviously we were more than best friends, but I never actually said anything when it came to labels.

“We’re a thing..” Sydney said shrugging her shoulders, glancing up at me.

“What kind of thing? A boyfriend and girlfriend thing or more of a friends with benefits thing?” Calum questioned, leaning forward in his seat.

“Well-“ I shrugged my shoulders unsure of what to say myself. 

“He’s not my friends with benefits,” Sydney said, rolling her eyes as she reached out for my hand again.  I couldn’t help myself from getting lost in her action.  She didn’t even look like she knew she was doing it.  It was almost as if it was instinct for her. 

“So are you two dating?”  Michael spoke.

“I mean,” I shrugged, unsure of myself.

“Yes,” Sydney answered for me, making me sigh in relief. 

“YES!” Ashton shouted from his seat, fist umping the air.  “You owe me twenty bucks Calum.”  Calum glared at Ashton from across the room while pulling out his wallet, throwing a twenty at Ashton who was still throwing a party over his ‘win.’

“You guys were betting on us?” The look in Sydney’s eyes let everyone know she wasn’t pleased with this.  She dropped my hand for the second time tonight, making me pout slightly, and walked over to Ashton grabbing the twenty dollars from his hand before quickly walking back over to me, hiding herself behind my large frame. 

“Hey!” Ashton whined, crossing his arms over his chest and frowning. 

“You’ve just chipped in for our first date,” Sydney giggled, opening the front pocket of my jeans slightly and sliding the bill inside. 

“Why do I need it?” I grinned looking down at her.

“You don’t expect me to pay for myself do you?” she said, throwing her hand over her heart in fake shock.  “Lucas, this relationship isn’t going to work if you don’t at least pay for one of my meals.” 

I shook my head, bending down to kiss the top of her head, pulling her into a hug.  “I’ll pay for all your meals if it means you’re all mine.”

Her face turned red, making me smile wider.  I loved the way she blushed so easily.  All I had to do was give her a smile and her face turned as red as a tomato.  Knowing I had that much of an effect on her made me feel special.

The sound of gagging pulled me out of my trance.  Peering over at Michael, I saw him and Calum pretending to puke while frowning.  “I’m all for you two finally being together, but God damn it I’m already alone, I don’t need this as a reminder,” Michael groaned, falling back onto the couch dramatically.

“Aw Mikey,” Sydney cooed, running over to his side.  “I’ll share Luke with you?” she giggled, as she jumped on top of him, engulfing him in a hug.

“Well I am Muke af, what do you say babe?” Michael said, sending me a wink.

“Michael Clifford, we can’t discuss our relationship in front of her, that’s so personal,” I scoffed before falling into a fit of giggles with Michael.

(Sydney’s POV)

Michael and Luke were giggling like little kids over their own joke when I felt Ashton lightly elbow me to get my attention. 

“Congrats Syd,” he gave me a sweet smile.  “I hate to say I saw this coming buuuut,” he shrugged, holding out the ‘u.’

“I know, I know,” I grinned waving him off.

“Does this mean you’re going to be around more again?” he asked with a hopeful look in his eye.

“It better,” Luke piped up, falling down beside Michael, who I was still hugging tightly. 

“It could possibly mean you’ll see more of me,” said as nonchalantly as possible.  “I’ve got a job now though, I have to make sure I can squeeze you in.”

“Don’t go all business on us,” Calum whines from his seat earning a few chuckles from the rest of the group.

“I’m going to do everything I can to be around more,” I say seriously, looking over at Luke who’s eyes automatically connect with mine.

Letting go of Michael, I roll off oh him and fall in between he and Luke on the couch.  Luke took no time in wrapping his arms around my waist and pulling me close to his side and placing a kiss on the top of my head.  I forgot how much I missed him and having him back makes it clear just how much I need this.  I need him and I'm not going to push him away from me ever again.

-------

Oh my God, this chapter sucks balls and it's such a filler.  I have some serious writers block right now with Critical.. I've tried to avoid this, but for real, I'm having a bit of a rough spot, so if you have any ideas that you think would work, please share them with me because I know what I want to have happen, but to get there is a different story gah.