Chapter Five

“You guys are so full of shit,” I mumble while shaking my head and pushing past them towards the ice cream stand.

“Then explain to me why in three years, he hasn’t talked about any girl the way he talks about you?” Calum says raising his eyebrows.

I shrugged slightly, not looking at him.  “Maybe he was waiting for the right girl, like Emily.”  And as if on queue, Emily and Luke came into view.  His arm was slung over her shoulders and they were both laughing over something.  Suddenly my desire to eat ice cream was completely gone.

“Hey, we’ve been trying to find you guys for the past thirty minutes,” Luke chuckled taking his arm off of Emily and resting it on my shoulder instead.  Glancing up at him, I fought off the urge to shove him away from me.  Something about knowing his arm was just wrapped around another girl made it seem less special.  “You alright?” he leaned down whispering in my ear.

“Fine,” I muttered, following Ashton towards a small table, letting his arm fall from my shoulder.

“What happened to you getting ice cream?” Ashton said with a look of concern on his face. 

“I lost my appetite,” I mumbled, refusing to look up from the ground. 

….

Shortly after our ice cream adventure, people started to recognize the boys, which caused for a bit of a mob and security at Disney asking us to leave.  Just so you know, for a childs theme park, the security is seriously terrifying. 

We made it back to the bus in one piece.  I’d managed to avoid Luke and Emily for the most part and was pretty pleased with myself when she left shortly after we returned.

The next morning started just like normal.  I was currently laying in my bunk, scrolling through twitter and listening to some music, thinking about taking a nap when someone opened up my curtain, allowing light to come pouring in.  Groaning, I squinted my eyes to see Luke only inches from my face.

“We need to talk,” he said, resting his chin on the side of my bunk.

I pulled one ear bud out of my ear and looked over at him.  His hair had fallen flat after wearing his snap back all day and his blue eyes seemed to be piercing into mine.  “We do?” I asked, trying to sound nonchalant about the whole thing.

He nodded his head and I sighed, sitting up slowly and crawled towards the exit.  There was no fighting him on this.  If I tried to ignore him any longer, he would know something was seriously bugging me.

He led me back into the lounge that was surprisingly empty and sat down, pulling me down with him.  “Did I do something wrong?” he asked abruptly.

“What? No,” I shook my head and rested my body against the back of the couch. 

“So why does it feel like I have?” he questioned, looking over at me.

To be honest, I had no idea why I was so bothered by him.  I mean I knew it had to do with Emily but why the hell did I care?  In the past three years, he’s had one girlfriend and they broke up a few months after we started to become friends and they got more serious about music. 

I’ve seen thousands of girls literally throw themselves at him and it’s never affected me, yet he gets attention from one girl for 24 hours and I start going mental.

“Syd?” Luke said while waving his hand in front of my face. 

“Oh, I- You know I love you right?” I said looking at him for the first time since this conversation started.  He nodded, furrowing his eyebrows together in confusion.  “And you know I always want the best for you?” 

“Yeah I know.”

“So, does Emily make you happy?” I blurted out.  This conversation could go one of two ways and I was praying it ended on a good note.

“Yea, I guess, I mean she’s different from other girls I’ve liked.  Why?”

“I just want to make sure you’re happy,” I said putting on my best fake smile.

“If I didn’t know any better Syd, I’d say you were jealous,” he grinned, pulling me into a hug.  “I’ve got time for my best friend and girlfriends,” he joked as he cradled me in his arms and let out a laugh.

And just like that, I felt my heart fall to the floor.  I was the best friend and Emily was the girlfriend.  That’s what he wanted, and I needed to accept it.

--------------------------

I love Luke but he's so stupid.

I'm thinking of posting two chapters tonight just because I feel like this one was really short and you guys are awesome so you deserve it?  I think so.  Chapter 6 will be up shortly.