Chapter Eighteen

I spent the rest of their set out in the hallway, pacing back and forth, just trying to calm my nerves after what had just happened on stage.  To be honest, I was ready to make a break for it, just so I wouldn’t have to speak to any of them after this.  I was so nervous to even think about talking to Luke.  My entire body was shaking from head to toe.

I heard the crowd start to cheer extremely loud as Ashton banged the drums for a final time.  They were coming and I had no where to hide. 

“Syd?” I heard Calum say from down the hall, still out of view from me. 

“She couldn’t have left, she wouldn’t do that,” I heard the panic in Luke’s voice as he spoke before turning the corner and catching sight of me.  “Sydney,” he spoke softly, making me even more nervous than before. 

“Luke,” I mumbled, giving him an awkward nod. 

“So uh,” Ashton said scratching the back of his neck awkwardly, “I’m just gonna-“ he said while pointing towards the dressing room and sprinting inside it, followed by Calum and Michael, who were giggling like little kids before slamming the door shut behind them.

“Can we possibly talk?” Luke spoke, not moving from his position. 

“Do you need a shower or anything?” I mentally facepalmed myself, that was the stupidest question I’ve asked all day. 

“Do I need one?” Luke chuckled, smelling himself, making me grin.

“You usually take one after every show,” and now I sound like a stalker.

“Yeah, but Ashton usually takes one first considering he sweats like he ran a marathon even though he’s the only one in the band that gets to sit down,” he let out a laugh while shaking his head and walking closer to me.

“True,” I choked out, suddenly nervous all over again.

“Do you want to check out the roof?” 

I felt myself start to smile at the memories of all the times he and I would take off after a show and check out the view of whatever city we were in from the very top of the arena.  “Of course.” 

He reached out for my hand and laced our fingers together, sending a shock all the way up my arm and into my heart, pulling me towards the staircase. 

“When’s the last time we’ve done something like this?” He asked, looking over his shoulder at me. 

I shrugged trying to think back.  “A couple months, I think.”

“I missed it”

“So did I,” I nodded in agreement as we reached the last flight of stairs.  “I also think that I need to work out more because these stairs are killing me.” 

“One more flight, Syndey, come on,” Luke chuckled, practically pulling me up the last few steps.

He stopped just short of the door and pulled me into his side.  “So, do you think we’ll have a nice view of the city or do you think we’ll get a view of the side of a building?”  We used to place bets on what exactly we would see from the top before we got there, just to see who would win.

“I’m betting on a pretty view of the outskirts of the city.” 

“I bet we get a view of a building.”

I nodded, moving past him to open up the door, revealing a view of the surrounding neighborhood that was only lit by the streetlights with the city shining bright only a few miles back.  “I win.”

He rolled his eyes and huffed before stepping onto the rooftop and walking towards the edge.  I followed closely behind him, finding myself a comfortable place to sit.  We fell silent for a few moments, taking in the view around us.