Chapter Sixteen

(Sydney’s POV)

After some more catching up backstage the boys were called off to go do a few interviews before they went to take the stage.  I took this time to relax on the couch and catch up with Jeremy, their new media manager and one of my closest friends. 

“Any girls getting on the bus late at night?” I questioned him, as I sat cross-legged on the floor in front of him while he typed away on his computer.

“No.” 

“Anything weird going on with any members?”

“Yes.”  I glared at him when he made eye contact with me.  He knew I hated one word responses. 

“What happened to telling me everything that happened in my absence?” I whined, nudging his leg.

“Well you also told me to not talk to you about Luke so it was a win-loss situation Sydney,” he shrugged before looking back down at his computer.

“What’s going on with Luke?” I whispered, leaning in closer to him. 

“He’s just really closed off.  He runs off before every show to be by himself.  The last time you were here, he let go of Emily moments after you left.  All four of them locked themselves in their dressing room to talk about ‘things’,” he made the air quotes around things before continuing.  “After that, Luke started to really put himself into his music.  He barely spoke.  I doubt he sleeps much.  Today was the first time he hasn’t run off and I have a feeling this all leads back to you.”  I swallowed hard and fixed the messy bun that was on the top of my head, avoiding all eye contact with him. 

After a few seconds of silence I heard the door open to the dressing room followed by the sound of Ashton’s laugh.  Thankful for the distraction, I turned my attention to the boys as they shuffled in.

“Syd, have you checked your twitter recently?” Calum grinned over at me.

“No?” I mumbled before grabbing my phone and opening twitter.  My mentions were through the roof and I had DM’s galore.

@Sydanderson96 is back with @5SOS.  ITS HAPPENING PEOPLE

@sydanderson96 came home

Does anyone else think @sydanderson96 and @ashton5sos would be cute?

OH MY GOD #LYDNEY IS REAL I FEEL IT

I looked up from my phone, and over to the four boys giggling in front of me. “How do they know I’m here?” 

“I’m pretty sure some of our fans work for the FBI,” Michael chuckled.

“Oh my God, listen to this one,” I heard Ashton giggle from beside me.  “I will sell my soul for a cute Lydney picture.” 

I glanced over at Luke who was fighting back a smile as his cheeks reddened.  “Shut up Ashton,” I said while hiding my face in my hands.

“C’mon guys, get together,” Calum said while shoving Luke into me, causing him to grab my waist so I didn’t go tumbling over.

“Perfect,” I heard Michael say as he flashed the picture he had just taken of the incident. 

“I swear to god, I hate this band,” Luke whispered just quiet enough for me to hear.  I let out a small laugh before stepping away from him slowly and patting his chest. 

“How long until show time?” I questioned, glancing at the boys. 

“A couple minutes now, the openers should be wrapping up at some point,” Calum said while nodding.

“Am I supposed to sit in the crowd or..?” I honestly hadn’t thought about the concert part of this.  I was so used to being allowed to do whatever I wanted backstage before because it was my job.  Now that I was just a guest, I was lost.

“No,” Luke said a little too quickly, causing all of us to give him a weird look.  “I mean, no,” he said clearing his throat.  “You can sit on the side of the stage like old times,” he said giving me a small smile while scratching the back of his neck.

I nodded my head, signaling that that was okay with me.  “I can’t wait to hear you guys play again,” I smiled wide while clapping my hands.

There was a small knock on the door followed by the sound of a stage manager telling the boys it was time.  All four of them grabbed their respective headsets and slipped them on, then grabbed their instruments before making their way out the door. 

“Wait, Sydney,” I heard Luke yell from the hallway.

I shuffled out of the room, following the sound of his voice to see him standing a few feet away from me.  “What’s up?” 

“You need to take a picture of us,” he said as a blush crept onto his cheeks.

“I do..?”

“I have a feeling his picture will be worth a fortune some day,” he grinned while walking over to me.

I felt the butterflies erupt in my stomach as he quoted what I used to say before every show to him.  Pulling out my phone, I turned on the camera and leaned into his chest, snapping off a few pictures of the two of us, giggling at the faces Luke was making.

“You have to smile for one of these,” I pouted, glancing up at him.  He simply nodded, flashing me a smile before looking at the camera.

Right before I took the last picture I felt his lips brush against my cheek, leaving a kiss on it lightly.  “Thank you for coming, Sydney,” he whispered before running off towards the stag, leaving me blushing like a fool.

----------

sobs for a year bc I ship them so hARD I CANT DEAL WITH IT.

Please please please, comment and vote and do all that good stuff.  It really inspires me to keep going you know.  Also, I forgot to mention this in the last update, but honeybeeisme made this amazing new cover for Ciritcal and nsdflmkg.  She's great okay?  She also writes and does awesome things on tumblr if that's something that interests you all.  I'm js.

If you're ever feeling artsy and want to do a cool cover for critical or anything like that, do it and message me, I'd love to see it.