Chapter Eight

It was currently noon and the boys were scrambling around the bus, trying to find things to wear before their sound check.  As much as I had hoped to see the last of Emily at last nights show, she had managed to follow us to a new state.  I have no idea how her parents don’t care, or where the hell she’s getting all this money, but nonetheless, she’s here. 

After walking in on Luke and Emily the other day, I’ve come to the conclusion that I need to keep my distance from them when they were together.  There was something about seeing them together that just made me feel physically ill. 

“Sydney, can we talk?” Ashton said, stepping out of the bunks, situating a bandana on his head.  I glanced up from my phone and nodded, following him to the entrance of the bus. 

“Is everything okay?” I asked, looking at him concerned.

He gave me a small smile and nodded.  “Everything is fine with me.  I was actually going to ask you that..”

“O-oh..” I looked down at my shirt, picking at a small ball of lint. 

“We all know something’s up, okay?  You may think you’ve got everyone here fooled, but you’re the shittiest actress I’ve ever met,” he chuckled, making my cheeks redden.  

I glanced up at him for a brief second, shrugging my shoulders.  “I just talked to Elizabeth about something the other day and it’s been eating at me, that’s all.”  

“Does it have to do with Luke?” he whispered, glancing at the bunks where Luke was still messing around with the other boys.  I didn’t say anything, I didn’t need to, I just nodded my head.  “Sydney, if he has this much of an affect on you, you really need to talk to him about it.” 

“I can’t do that,” I said, shooting him a look as if he was crazy.

“You know he’s not stupid.  He knows something is wrong and the longer you wait to say anything, the harder it’s going to be to figure out how to fix it.”

“I like him, Ashton,” I whispered tentatively.

“I know you do,” he grinned, pulling me into a hug.  That was the first time I’ve actually said that out loud to anyone.  “And you know he likes you too, right?” he mumbled into my hair.

I shook my head no and hugged him closer.  Ashton was the closest thing I had to a brother.  I don’t know what I would do without him. 

“Oh get a room you two,” Luke scoffed, walking towards us.  I pulled away from Ashton slowly, looking up at Luke hesitantly.  He was wearing a stupid grin on his face as he gave me a sly wink, making my cheeks heat up in the process. 

“Technically, this is our room,” Ashton stated, throwing an arm over my shoulder. 

Luke’s smile faltered as his eyes wandered to Ashton’s arm, draped over my shoulder, and for a second, I almost believed Ashton was right.  That was, until the door opened and Emily walked on. 

I felt my muscles tense as she approached Luke, engulfing him in a hug and leaving a kiss on his lips.  Ashton must have felt it too, because I felt his arm give me a friendly squeeze.  

“Do you wanna head in?” he whispered into my ear. 

Nodding, I pulled my gaze away from the happy couple and followed Ashton outside where we were greeted by the sound of squealing girls and camera flashes. 

….

Another week, a new state, and Emily was still making constant visits on and off the tour bus.  I’ve resorted to trying to make myself invisible and keep myself completely focused on work, which Luke hasn’t seemed to pick up on. 

Currently, the five of us were headed to a new club to check things out.  It’s not often that we actually got to go out and do things like this, so when we could, we made sure to make the most of it.  

“I’m so pumped for this,” Calum said clapping his hands together and skipping ahead.  I smiled wide at his excitement and rushed to keep up with him. 

“Maybe you’ll meet a girl,” Ashton chimed, throwing his arm over my shoulder and winking at Calum.  

“We all know Calum has no game,” Michael chuckled as Calum slapped the back of his head.

“I’m just excited to get to hang out with you guys again,” Luke says poking my side lightly.  “I feel like we haven’t had any friend time,” he smiles down at me.  God I hate that he still makes me blush.

“Where’s Emily tonight?” Ashton says, pulling me in closer to him protectively.  This past week has been rough.  I’ve been with Ashton for most of it, he likes to make sure I’m okay whenever possible.  He knows all about the talk I had with Elizabeth.

“I didn’t invite her,” Luke said scratching the back of his neck awkwardly.

“That’s not being a very good boyfriend,” I mumbled, glancing up at him. 

He looked down at me clenching his jaw.  I hit a nerve.  “Well you’ve been a pretty crap friend lately so I guess we all make mistakes,” he grumbled before walking faster.  Ouch. 

We made it into the club shortly after that and I made my way towards the bar, hoping my fake ID looked official enough for me to get a drink or two, five tops.  Don’t judge me, I needed to forget for a while. 

The music was pulsing, making it hard to hear my own thoughts, and I didn’t mind.  I asked the bar tender for beer, which he gave to me without hesitation.  I took a large gulp before I felt someone slide into the seat next to mine.  Glancing over, I saw Ashton bobbing his head to the music.

“This place is amazing,” he shouted over the music.

I nodded in agreement.  “Drink?” I handed my beer to him, which he took happily, taking a swig.

“Whatever you do Syd, please just try to have fun tonight,” he said looking over at me seriously.

“Give me a few more beers and I promise I’ll have the time of my life,” I joked, making him crack a smile.

------------

Does anyone have an predictions as to where this story may go in the future?  Ten bucks says no one guesses what's coming.