33

~

TRIGGER WARNING;
this chapter has mentions of an attempted suicide. 

~

" Like, prom was actually our last chance at being kids

" Like, prom was actually our last chance at being kids. Then all of a sudden, playtime over. There's no more hiding from it, what's out there. "

~

Bailey sat in the back of Charlie's car a few days later, a week after Justin had been put in the ventilator. She hadn't left the hospital after Tony brought her back, sleeping in the same small chair by Justin's bed; her hand always holding his. They'd insisted she go home and get some new clothes, Charlie and Alex volunteering to take her. And so, she'd gone home and gotten changed before they'd embarked on their second half of their journey; finding Zach.

She looked through the windscreen as the car slowed, spotting her best friend laying on the hood of his mum's car in one of the many alleys around town. Charlie shut the car off as Alex grabbed a coffee from one of the many trays they'd bought, before they got out of the car; leaving her to sit in the dark. She was the back up plan. The couple approached Zach as he slid off the car, taking another swig of whatever alcohol drink he hand in his hand.

'Something tells me you boys aren't here to party,' He slurred before Charlie took the bottle from his hand; 'Oh... Ok.'

The St George boy popped the cork and tipped the bottle, pouring it out onto the road.

'Whoa! Hey, that's a single barrels mall batch Corlett,' Zach exclaimed; 'What the fuck?'

'Fucking bourbon, guys. You can't even tell the difference,' Charlie scowled.

Alex held out the coffee cup, 'There are two more in the car, black. You're gonna get those in you, and go see Justin.'

'All right, look, Mothers Teresa. Learn to know a lost cause when you see one, like me. Like Justin.'

Bailey sighed, shifted across the seat to push open the car door. She stepped down onto the road and pushed it shut behind her as she moved out of the way, crossing her arms over her chest as she approached them.

'You can't keep doing this, Zee,' She spoke softly, tiredly; 'You've got to see him.'

'Bay,' He whispered.

'You'll fucking regret it if you don't. Deep down, you know that.'

'Do you remember on the rooftop?The night I kissed you?' Alex suggested.

'You kissed him?' Charlie looked to him.

'It was a shit show. I'll explain later. But you remember that night?'

Zach didn't look away from his best friend, 'Yeah.'

'Ok. That kiss was embarrassing. It was a disaster. But right before that, when I almost fell, you pulled me back from the ledge. And I'll never forget the feeling of your hands grabbing me and keeping me safe. I needed it. I didn't know it. And now you need it.'