27

~

" Cause I don't want to live my life based on someone else's idea of what's right, or what's moral, or what's good

" Cause I don't want to live my life based on someone else's idea of what's right, or what's moral, or what's good. I want to figure it out for myself. Even if I make mistakes along the way. "

~

Bailey hadn't been at school in the week that followed the school shooter drill, instead she'd wandered from house to house of her friends checking in on them. She currently sat on the window sill of Winston's living room window, looking out over his huge backyard. Her eyes flicked over the healthy bushes and trees, the flowers spotted over a few of them.

'So, I got Diego and Estella on board,' Winston stated as he flopped down onto his couch. 

'On board with what?' She asked as she looked to him. 

'Finding out the truth. And Estella gave me one of the playbooks. It has some very interesting notes in it.'

'They all do.'

'Even yours?'

'Even mine.' 

'So, you know the code then?'

'I guess.'

He hummed in reply, 'Zach also told me something when we were locked in together... That he beat the shit out of Bryce before he was killed.'

'I know.'

'You know?'

'He's my best friend, Winst. You think he's not gonna tell me that?'

'So, why didn't you tell me?'

'I am my brother's keeper.'

'Right.'

'Did he tell you anything else?'

'Nah. Just wanted me to keep it a secret.'

'Are you?'

'For the moment.'

'Winston.'

'I will. You know I can keep a secret.'

She hummed in reply, looking back out the window. 

'So, you're jersey number seven?' Winston asked. 

'Yeh,' She sighed. 

'And Justin's twenty one?'

She looked to him, 'Yeh... You think it was Justin?'

'Do you think it was Justin?'

'I don't know.'

'You can find out. He'd tell you.'

Guilt sunk into her stomach as she studied the hopeful look on the boy's face, nodding her head slowly as she looked away again. 

~